Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Crystal City, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
This opening is located on Florida's Space Coast in the city of Melbourne. Melbourne is located in southern Brevard County, which is southeast of Orlando on Florida's east coast. It's the economic engine of the county and capitalizes on high-tech industries. With expansive Atlantic Ocean Beaches, vast river lagoons, and an abundance of public parks – the Brevard County area is a beautiful place to call home with many opportunities for recreation and only a short drive to Orlando's major theme parks. Our surrounding areas are family friendly with many top rated public and private schools, as well as two major higher education institutes Eastern Florida State College and Florida Institute of Technology.
Our Melbourne facility prides ourselves on our family friendly environment with team work being of most importance. The atmosphere is friendly, and our team members find their work to be exciting as they have the opportunity to be hands on with our products and are exposed to many functions and room for growth in their everyday work. Employee Engagement is high at our location with many events, charity opportunities, and recognition opportunities throughout the year. Our two lines of business at this location include Land Electronics and Electro-Optical Infrared Systems.
Job Title: Technician I Optical Fabrication/ painter
Shift: 2nd or 3rd
Provides routine technical support to the shop manager and work cell specialist.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibilities may include CNC and/or conventional grinding, polishing, diamond turning, or coating of optical lenses and/or mirrors and beam splitters
- Supporting the paint shop with overflow painting responsibilities
- Ability to use hand tools like indicators, drop gauges, micrometers, calipers, etc
- Work from standard drawings, operation sheets, engineering specifications, process plans and sketches
- Should understand fundamental optics principles and is capable of inspecting for surface quality defects of optics
- Capable of performing related manufacturing processes
- Ability to handle and clean optical elements without degrading the surface
- Understand and operate metrology devices like interferometers and profilometers
- Interpret and follow documents such as SOPs and safety rules
- Ensure compliance with all safety and regulatory requirements applicable to the company in accordance with State and Federal regulations and any applicable certification required to maintain the certification.
- Interface with other departments to assure efficient flow of information and materials
- Perform Key Performance Indicators:
- Meet production deadlines
- Quality of finished product (Pass/fail rates)
- Raw material stock levels
- Compliance outcomes
- Provides basic support to engineers and scientists on standard components, material, processes and/or equipment
- Position requires the ability to coordinate several activities at the same time, and to reprioritize in response to changing operational conditions
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization.
- Actively participate in building a collaborative and productive team environment
- Other duties as required
Basic Qualifications (include education and years of experience required)
- High School Diploma or GED
- Pass a background check
- Must demonstrate strong decision-making and leadership skills
- Experienced handling optics and small delicate components, using ESD practices
- Must be experienced in the safe handling of chemicals
- Experienced in the use of various computer applications
- Previous experience operating precision hand tools such as micrometers and calipers is required
- Experience with CNC programming a plus
- Must have the ability to read and follow written work instructions, schematics and engineering drawings
- Understanding of basic shop math such as ratios, graphs, algebra, and basic geometry
- Experience with MRP a plus
- Must have good hand and eye coordination
Physical Requirements (Lifting, Walking, Bending, Stooping kneeling etc)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Leonardo DRS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #EOIS #manufacturing #technical #technician #painter
Apply on company website