Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 47,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com.
DRS Signal Solutions, Inc. specializes in communications-surveillance products that meld both RF and DSP technologies and is a leading worldwide supplier of high-quality signal-intercept equipment. We provide creative RF solutions to the Department of Defense and prime contractors. The facility designs and manufactures HF, VHF, and SHF tuners and receivers, demodulators, direction finders and wireless intercept solutions.
Job Location: Germantown, MDJob Summary
Involved with the design, development, modification and analysis of RF/Microwave analog circuits in a broadband frequency range of 20 MHz to 20 GHz. Design modules to include Synthesizers, Exciters, Preselectors, Up/Down Converters, Exciters and link budget analysis. Must be familiar with major system level receiver testing.Job Responsibilities
- RF hardware research, design, and development of state of the art heterodyne and software defined radio systems
- Design, develop, analyze, document and support testing of products, systems or subsystems
- Perform detailed design of RF circuitry.
- Product qualification to include:Responsible for conducting and supporting engineering tests and detailed experiments in support of customer applications; writing the integration and test plan and procedure documentation; Perform subsystem and radio level verification and validation testing using formal techniques; Outlining new testing requirements and assets required to support the product
- Project support
- Perform design and analysis tasks on electronic and electromechanical hardware including circuit boards, electro-mechanical devices, and electronics packaging of components.
- Work with outside vendors/quality team to address material discrepancies;
- Work with cross-functional teams to meet manufacturability, testability and other design for manufacturing requirements for volume production
- Ability to design and conduct engineering experiments and evaluate and act upon test results
- Ability to troubleshoot radios and systems to component level and perform design changes to improve performance
- Project Support includes: Design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and final design, component selection, integration and test support, materials selection, design documentation and collaboration with manufacturing operations;Prepare periodic status presentations for management; Work with obsolescence team to mitigate obsolete devices through redesign of RF sub-assemblies;Introduce designs into manufacturing through new product introduction processes; Determine radio and process improvements to increase test yields and product quality; Identify, track and resolve assigned hardware defects through board level functional analysis followed by design updates and/or board repair
- Bachelor's degree in engineering; Master's preferred and a minimum of 8+ years of experience, 6 years in RF product development
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose malfunctions in existing products or systems and make modifications as needed
- Experience with frequency bands from 20 MHz to 20000 MHz.
- Understanding of circuit card design and the Genesys, HFSS or Microwave Studio software suite used to generate / simulate circuit card designs
- Knowledge of Digital circuitry design:High speed VPX backplane interfaces; Power supply design, conditioning and EM filtering
- Must have the ability to analyze a new product design and communicate technical information as to how and why it works the way it does to support staff
- Fluent in the use of Excel for charting results
- Exposure to test scripting programming languages such as LabVIEW, Python or Matlab.
- Proven record of accomplishment of taking designs from concept through the product development cycle
- Proficient in the use of basic test equipment such as spectrum analyzer, signal generators, oscilloscopes, power meters
Leonardo DRS, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #AIS
Apply on company website