Job Posting TitleSenior Capital Program Manager
Recruiting Start Date03-24-2023
Recruiting End DateOpen Until Filled
Aloha mai! Mahalo for your interest in Kamehameha Schools. If you are looking for an opportunity to utilize your skills and talents and grow in your profession, while serving and strengthening our Native Hawaiian community, we would love to have you join our ʻohana!
Kamehameha Schools is currently looking for an experienced Capital Program Manager / Construction Project Manager.
We are looking for someone with 10 years of experience as a Construction Project Manager or Engineer, Architect, Designer within the institutional, commercial or office, high-rise space.
Someone who has cradle to grave experience – from planning & budgeting to permitting and construction.
Someone who has a strong understanding of project financials & scheduling.
Someone with a good understanding of the local construction industry & how things are done here.
Responsible for the planning, management and implementation of a portfolio of KS' redevelopment and/or major repairs/capital improvement projects (MRCIP) each year, including the development of portfolio strategies to leverage resources and create economies of scale, as well as individual project management plans/strategies, budgets, scopes of work, business cases, schedules and spending projections. Works directly with user groups to translate education or business requirements into project programs for implementation. Manages all aspects of project planning and implementation, including planning/budgeting/pre-design, design and permitting, bidding/negotiation and construction processes, oversees internal and external resources and project teams. Secures required services through appropriate procurement methodologies and negotiates services, fees, terms and conditions, and develops agreements/contracts. Assesses project outcomes, and supports KS annual and long-term budgeting efforts by establishing historical cost data; works with facilities managers to maintain KS' Facilities Management plans and databases.Essential Responsibility
Portfolio Program Management
- Directly manages the overall implementation of a portfolio of projects (projects that may individually range from $100K to as much as $50M per) that typically number between 10 and 25 projects, with an average total portfolio value of $20M to $30M. Implements portfolio and project management plans independently, and is accountable for project performance in alignment with goals, budgets, timetables, standards and policy.
- Evaluates bids and budgets to determine whether it is in KS' best interest to move forward with projects at various stages, and as required, prepares reports or approval requests for Board action.
- Develops proposal requests and negotiates contract fees from consulting professionals, or develops design requirements and specifications for bidding. Directs a project's overall design effort, including tracking and monitoring design performance related to schematic, design development and construction documents, the estimated construction cost, and the design delivery schedule. Manages the bid process and conducts pre-bid and post-bid conferences as appropriate, and evaluates bid results. With executive management approval, manage alternative delivery processes, including construction cost negotiation.
- Develops and directs the construction management methodology for the construction phase work, including the procurement and management of construction management and specialty consulting firms. Establishes and manages processes to: 1) facilitate effective project communication, including regularly scheduled owner/architect/contractor meetings, 2) review and assess schedules and costs, 3) effectively manage changes, including developing alternate solutions as required, 4) ensure construction is in accordance with contract documents, 5) ensure unforeseen conditions or unusual conditions are documented and addressed. Typical responsibilities also include assuring regulatory compliance, determining substantial completion, identifying punch-list items, claim/lien analysis, and obtaining guarantees/warrantees as required. Coordinates construction activities with related KS provided vendors (FF&E, IT, security, etc.) and implements close-out of construction operations. Assists users in response to post-construction warrantee claims.
- Manages risks inherent in development, design and construction processes.
- Program Alignment Risk: Ensures project solutions are aligned with project goals, and that supportable program or business cases are achieved.
- Financial Risk: Manages risk through robust and disciplined portfolio and project planning and leveraging, reasonable scheduling, standard use of products and proactive management of change cycles. Manages project budgets, provides regular reporting, prepares variance explanations, and evaluates and processes payments/change orders for approval and/or payment. Executes financial decisions within delegated authority defined by policy.
- Environmental Risk: Ensures governmental and regulatory compliance and adheres to industry standard practices. Works closely with KS environmental risk managers to ensure safe and healthy built environments.
- Contract Risk: Works closely with KS Legal and retained counsel to establish terms and conditions scaleable with project risk to protect KS interests, including the determination of business-related terms and conditions. Develops contracts.
- Communications Risk: Responsible for development and implementation of project communication strategies with user groups and consultants, and to senior management as required. As required, will expand communication into broader KS public relations strategies.
Project Portfolio Development
- Develops the specific management strategy for implementing a portfolio of projects each year from inception which may include individual projects or consolidated bundles of projects to enhance internal efficiency, create economy of scale and further KS' interests in the competitive construction market.
- Works directly with user groups and planners to translate education or business requirements into implement-able project programs, and further develops individual project management plans that include scope definition, schedule and cash flow development, budget and tracking systems, communication plans and coordination strategies for user groups and external consultants. Evaluates user requests and project goals, identifies opportunities and constraints, and analyzes life-cycle cost considerations and possible alternatives as required, resulting in a complete plan for each project. Identifies professional and construction services required to deliver the projects accordingly. As most projects are multi-year efforts, forecasts project cash flows and updates monthly over a project's life. Collaborates with other professional staff in developing the consolidated annual MRCIP budget.
- Performs evaluation of consultants and contractors upon project completion. Conducts overall assessment of project outcomes, including soliciting post-project feedback from users. Collaborates with other professional staff in establishing and updating the division's cost management databases and provides historical data on actual project costs.
- Provides support to FDSD, CRED, Education and C&AR management in related activities or initiatives, including technical consultation, planning initiatives, education specifications and programming, feasibility studies, and assessments of facilities and real property. Supports long-range capital planning/forecasting, and cross trains to effectively manage the organization's Facilities Management plans and databases, including the Sightlines database.
- Maintains eBuilder project management software with current project schedule, budgets, costs, project status, etc., on a monthly and quarterly basis. Provides quarterly project reporting updates for organizational executive review.
Minimum Qualifications - An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for the requirements listed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Architecture, Planning, Construction Management or closely related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of work related experience.
- Current and Valid Driver's License.
- Familiarity with trends, supply/demand, and issues affecting construction and the real estate market.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Bluebeam/Adobe Acrobat, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Project and MS Power BI.
- Experience in building construction and strong demonstrated experience with commercial tenant improvement construction projects.
- Directly related experience in the regulatory approval processes, capital improvements, major repairs and development, including aspects of planning, design, project and construction management. The ability to understand building and infrastructure systems, estimate construction costs, project sequencing and timing is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to communicate and manage project teams and to relate effectively with all levels of the organization that include executive leadership, senior management and staff as well as contacts with external agencies and organizations and the public-at-large.
- Advanced level of analytical, creative and critical thinking skills and rational decision making to solve complex planning and technical problems.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects or initiatives, ability to meet and adjust to changing conditions, and ability to complete tasks within prescribed time schedules and allocated budget amounts.
- Knowledge of common and statute laws, ordinances, codes, rules and regulations relative to planning design, codes, contract law, liabilities, labor and construction. Securing prices through bids or negotiations and administration of contracts.
- Ability to develop and analyze reports, maps, building plans and specifications, leases and legal documents.
- Ability to work flexible and/or extended hours to meet position demands and deadlines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills to negotiate contracts, write reports, etc.
- Ability to travel to neighbor islands as often required to facilitate projects.
- Experience in entitlements, regulatory approvals, planning, design, project management and construction of educational and/or commercial assets on the behalf of an Owner or Developer.
- Experience working in a large, multi-enterprise organization that is highly policy and procedures driven.
- Licensed in the State of Hawaii as a Professional Architect or Engineer; AICP Certification in Planning; PMP Certification in Project Management.
- Frequently sits, perform desk-based computer tasks and grasp light or fine manipulation, talk or hear.
- Occasionally stand and/or walk, write by hand, and lift and/or carry, push and/or pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely twist, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crawl, climb, reach or work above shoulder, or grasp forcefully.
- This position may involve traveling to various locations, including neighbor islands to conduct business.
- Work is conducted in an office environment and may require work to be conducted in non-standard workplaces.
- Work is typically conducted Monday through Friday at normal business hours.
For Internal Use Only: #LI-CAR #LI-Hybrid
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties and skills required. The incumbent may be expected to perform other duties as assigned.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact us at email@example.com or 808-534-8040 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Primary LocationKawaiahao Plaza
City, StateHonolulu, Hawaii
Apply on company website