The Technical Compliance Specialist partners with other departments to ensure that Harbor Freight Tools products meet or exceed relevant regulations and standards, with a specific focus on certification documentation of electrical tools and products, energy efficiency regulations, and battery safety. The role identifies industry best practices and works closely with key stakeholders in Legal, Global Sourcing, Imports and Trade Compliance, Quality Assurance, and Merchandising to execute process control and implementation plans. The Technical Compliance Specialist actively seeks continuous improvement opportunities to de-risk the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that assigned products comply with voluntary standards set by UL and IEC, as well as Harbor Freight Tools policies and procedures. Significant experience reviewing or auditing electrical product certifications and project implementation.
- Execute critical product compliance and safety initiatives to minimize risks and ensure consistent adherence to regulations.
- Prevent and resolve product compliance or safety-related issues as they arise.
- Assist with definition and assessment of the ongoing compliance programs, and oversee compliance control processes.
- Collaboration with cross-functional teams to ensure adequate flow of information amongst departments and vendor partners. Ensure understanding and implementation of new policies and procedures across all impacted teams.
- Ensure accuracy of labeling and certification.
- Ensure a safe work environment for employees, customers and service providers by implementation of assigned compliance programs; make changes as necessary.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Staff supervision and Development – No
- Decision Making – Provides data for decision support; maintains confidential information
- Travel – up to 10%
- Location – Corporate HQ
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelors' Degree, preferably with a Business or STEM major.
- Minimum of 1 year of compliance experience in consumer or industrial goods.
- Prior experience in resolution of compliance issues is required.
Job Qualifications- Skills
- Intermediate MS Office Suite skills required.
- Ability to translate complex information into compelling stakeholder-friendly language.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Has or can attain strong knowledge of laws, regulations, industry best practices, and current trends in the field.
- Ability to identify compliance risks and competently react to applicable regulatory matters.
- Ability to implement numerous projects at one time, think ahead to potential obstacles, and deploy new strategies to minimize those obstacles.
- Ability to maintain and not inappropriately share highly confidential information.
- Strong time management and planning skills, organized with the ability to multitask, exceptional follow-up skills and able to meet deadlines.
General office environment requiring ability to:
- stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- lift up to 15 lbs.
About Harbor Freight Tools
In 1977, Harbor Freight Tools was started as a small family-owned business. We made a commitment to provide working people with great quality tools at the lowest prices. And for over 43 years, Harbor Freight Tools has done just that. From hand tools and generators, to air and power tools, from shop equipment to automotive tools, Harbor Freight offers more than 5,000 tools and accessories at quality levels that match or exceed competing brands, but at prices that are up to 80% less. All while developing and launching over 1,000 new tools each year.
We're not your typical retailer. We're a team of high-achievers, who have a passion for excellence and continuous improvement and obsess about getting things done. We're also equally committed to doing the right thing and giving back to our community. And for us, collaboration is the golden rule. We're a 43 year-old, $5 billion company with over 1,100 stores, opening 2-3 new stores a week with over 40 million loyal customers and growing. If you are looking for a not so ordinary and highly rewarding career opportunity, we would love to talk with you.
Delivering Value to the Hardworking Since 1977.
Apply on company website