This position will provide power electronics skills to the development and support of new controls products incorporating power supplies, chargers and motor controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide power electronics development support to new product development teams, value engineering teams, quality management and customer support services.
- Peer review and open collaboration are key
- Specifying, designing, validating and supporting products and sub-systems incorporating power electronics components and systems such as switched mode power supplies, battery chargers and motor servo controllers
- Provide engineering expertise in the area of design, analysis, and testing of DC-DC power converters and BLDC motor drives 0.5W to 20 kW
- Work on electrical power system and sub-system level design and develop requirements
- Define and perform electrical power system verification testing and analysis
- Work with multidisciplinary teams of design, test, and production engineers to create new power electronics hardware
- Travel to customer sites, both local and international is required occasionally to gain insight into customer applications, audit suppliers, and to provide technical support for sales and service
- Participate in peer review of electronics and software designs
- Assist in the system integration and validation plans
- As part of a global, empowered, multi-functional team, collaborate in development of product requirements and detailed design documents to support new product initiatives
- General electronics design skills; analog and digital design, microcontroller and DSP design, schematic entry, component specification, board layout, test planning and circuit testing.
- Relevant coursework in BLDC motor drive design and DC-DC converters is highly desirable.
- Specific skills in switched mode power supply design, printed circuit layout of power circuits, design for electromagnetic compatibility and poor power quality, fly-back transformer/inductor design, battery charger design, permanent magnet servo motor control, power inverter design, position feedback, current measurement, velocity estimation and stepper motor control are required
- Passion for hardware simulation and development.
- Must be a hands-on engineer and excited to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to closely collaborate in a fast paced, cross functional team environment while consistently meeting commitments to the team as a self-directed technical expert.
- History of innovative solutions to application control challenges
- Additional responsibilities as defined by manager
- Organizational Scope – All US locations/Single Category/Region/District/Distribution Center
- Travel – 10% domestic, with opportunity for international travel
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- 5-7 years of experience is preferred
- Working knowledge of generating power supply designs from requirements and know how to design and verify power supply performance.
- Working knowledge of current mode control, compensation design, and loop gain measurements is preferred.
- Experience in modeling, simulation tools, schematic entry and board layout tools like Altium and testing of power electronics is desirable. Experience with designing and testing power supplies for power quality and EMI/EMC compatibility is preferred.
- Familiarity with lithium-ion battery handling, safety, and usage
General office environment requiring ability to:
- Stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- Speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- Use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- Lift up to 15 lbs. #LI-PG1
About Harbor Freight Tools
In 1977, when Harbor Freight Tools was started as a small family-owned business, we made a commitment to provide working people with great quality tools at the lowest prices. And for over 40 years, Harbor Freight Tools has done just that. From hand tools and generators, to air and power tools, from shop equipment to automotive tools, Harbor Freight offers more than 5,000 tools and accessories at quality levels that match or exceed competing brands, but at prices that are up to 80% less. We're not your typical retailer. We're a team of high-achievers, who have a passion for excellence and continuous improvement and obsess about getting things done. We're also equally committed to doing the right thing and giving back to our community. And for us, collaboration is the golden rule. We're a 40 year-old, $4 billion company with over 30 million loyal customers and growing. If you are looking for a not so ordinary and highly rewarding career opportunity, we would love to talk with you. Delivering Value to the Hardworking Since 1977
Apply on company website