The Area Manager supervises associates and manages the day to day operations of an assigned area within a distribution center. The position achieves results (operation, financial & service results) through directing and supporting the activities of Associates who perform various distribution center operating functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Select, orient, train, coach, counsel and discipline Associates
- Educate and develop Associates to increase their capabilities and job performance as well as to follow and maintain established company, federal, state and local policies and procedures
- Ensure associates attend all training/cross-training on the day and time scheduled and otherwise ensure 100% compliance with equipment operator and cross-training goals
- Schedule departmental trainers for new hire orientation and new hire on the job training
- Communicate values, strategies, objectives, and assigning accountabilities
- Maintain positive and productive continuity with each Associate and their work teams
- Initiate and foster a spirit of cooperation within and between departments
- Create a climate of openness, trust and respect for each Associate
- Plan, monitor, appraise, and manage performance results
- Enforce systems, policies, procedures and productivity standards and ensure corrective actions are administered for all violations and then submitted to HR for record keeping as well as work with temporary staffing service onsite management to ensure temporary associates similarly held accountable
- Investigate all equipment incidents and document Incident Reports as well as schedule all Situational Management meetings and implement all countermeasures and corrective actions in a timely manner
- Maintain and keep accurate staff attendance, vacation, personal time off, sickness, funeral, and other attendance standards
- Manage operation to meet the financial targets and assigned service levels assigned
- Identify and explain budget & service level variances, identify corrective actions
- Evaluate & recommend process changes to improve efficiencies, safety, etc.
- Establish daily and weekly priorities and production plans
- Schedule Associates and assigning work as well as monitor and revise schedules and work
- Research, compile, initiate, sort and analyze production performance records and data
- Resolve and report production issues
- Ensure the work environment is maintained in a clean & safe status
- Report and respond to any unsafe and unclean work environments and violations
- Ensure associates have the proper tools to perform their duties
- Ensure equipment is maintained, identify needed repairs and ensure that equipment gets repaired in a timely manner
- Ensure Associates are properly trained & certified to operate equipment
- Evaluate new equipment and techniques for process improvements
- Initiate, lead and participate in special projects
- Be open to new ideas and ways to achieve results
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn other areas of the distribution center operations
- Develop managerial and leadership competencies by participating in all company-sponsored education workshops and leadership development training, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional organizations
- Regular attendance is an essential function of the job
- Supervisory Responsibility
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent with 5 years or more of related experience as an individual contributor; Bachelor's degree plus two or more years of experience supervising production personnel (ideally in Distribution) preferred
- Intermediate level experienced with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong influence and motivational skills
- Multi-tasking skills
- Knowledge of business concepts (DC operations management concepts preferred)
- Knowledge of supervisory & leadership skills
Leadership - Models the Company's values and influences others to achieve individual or team objectives.
Communication - Clearly conveys information through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that is understandable, easy to retain and timely.
Initiative - Approaches work objectives with a sense of urgency and a dedication to exceeding performance expectations.
Problem-solving/Decision-making - Accurately identifies problems, issues and opportunities, collects data to draw conclusions and chooses a course of action based on facts.
Planning & Organization - Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure that work objectives are met.
Policy Compliance - Manages in accordance with Company policies and procedures and promotes compliance in others.
- stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- lift 50 pounds
The candidate must be able to perform this job safely in accordance with standard operating procedures and good manufacturing practices, without endangering the health or safety of self or others.
About Harbor Freight Tools
In 1977, when Harbor Freight Tools was started as a small family-owned business, we made a commitment to provide working people with great quality tools at the lowest prices. And for over 40 years, Harbor Freight Tools has done just that. From hand tools and generators, to air and power tools, from shop equipment to automotive tools, Harbor Freight offers more than 5,000 tools and accessories at quality levels that match or exceed competing brands, but at prices that are up to 80% less.
We're not your typical retailer. We're a team of high-achievers, who have a passion for excellence and continuous improvement and obsess about getting things done. We're also equally committed to doing the right thing and giving back to our community. And for us, collaboration is the golden rule. We're a 40 year-old, $4 billion company with over 30 million loyal customers and growing. If you are looking for a not so ordinary and highly rewarding career opportunity, we would love to talk with you.
Delivering Value to the Hardworking Since 1977
Apply on company website