The Special Education Lead ensures that the school is appropriately serving students with disabilities. They are responsible for helping families feel supported and assisting the teachers and leadership team in delivering a successful social, emotional, and academic experience.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Gather and analyze information from outside professionals and collaborate with them to ensure generalization of skills.
- Support teachers in understanding various disabilities and delivering creative accommodations that meet student's needs.
- Support parents in getting their child appropriate services and accommodations in the community and at Fusion.
- Consulting with other teachers on campus who might need support working with a student with challenging learning issues.
- Reviewing testing and documentation from other sources to support supplementary Formal Education Plan writing (accommodations and goals.)
- Providing professional development to staff around particular diagnosis, symptoms, and interventions.
- Leading specific parent education nights.
- Supporting the Head of School with admissions questions about appropriateness of particular students for Fusion.
- Attending student team meetings and student weekly meetings where needed.
- Teaching ' Maintaining a case load of students who need that specific resource.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree **or** Certificate in Educational Therapy, Special Education, **or** similar advanced educational background in learning disabilities, ADHD, and emotional disorders is mandatory.
- Experience with students with learning differences and ADHD is mandatory.
- Four to seven years of experience or training.
- Managerial, program development, and leadership experience necessary.
- A background in counseling or education.
- Patience and a problem-solving approach to issues.
- Strong working knowledge of special education: the IEP process, 504s, and ISPs.
- Our ideal candidate is an outgoing, well-organized individual who is eager to work in a highly dynamic, energetic school setting.
- Candidate must be prepared to teach and tutor material at a high school level immediately.
- Deep respect and understanding for teaching and learning.
- Knowledge and expertise in educational resources and best practices for secondary students.
- Extensive knowledge of mild to moderate disabilities.
- Knowledge of designated instructional services (speech and language, occupational therapy etc.)
- Creative solutions for struggling learners.
- Proactive communication with leadership team and families of students with disabilities.
- Desire and skills to collaborate successfully with teams of teachers.
- Commitment to constant self-improvement.
- Other job related competencies: honesty/integrity, highly organized, follow-through on commitments, persistence, proactivity, calm under pressure, strategic thinking/visioning, creativity/innovation, enthusiasm, listening skills, pro-active communication, persuasion.
- Other cultural competencies): intelligent, patient, ability to handle a fast paced environment, continuous learner, passionate, engaging, personable, high EQ, collaborative, empathic.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
Apply on company website