First Student, the largest provider of student transportation in North America, is now hiring an Automotive Technician II (intermediate skill level)!
The Automotive Fleet Technician II performs routine and some non-routine maintenance and repair work on vehicles (buses, vans, etc.) which includes tire maintenance, fulfilling service calls for repair, conducting visual inspections, and related work as assigned under minimal supervision. This position handles more advanced issues and problems and may refer more complex issues to higher-level staff. All work is performed with a commitment to safety. May mentor or provide informal guidance to Technician I.
First Student (a division of FirstGroup America) is a leading provider of school transportation services. We operate in 460 locations across the US and Canada, working with school districts to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation for five million students per school day. We employ more than 48,000 people and operate and maintain over 43,000 buses.
First Student is proud to offer:
- Hourly wage of $22.59 is based on experience and qualifications + ASE Certifications earn you bonus money!
- Monday-Friday full-time shift schedule
- Consistent year-round work
- An excellent benefits package with paid holidays & vacation, medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Ongoing training
- Opportunities for advancement nationwide
- A great work environment!
Automotive Fleet Mechanic II Major Responsibilities:
- Ensure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers by performing limited repairs with moderate supervision on basic and advanced maintenance such as replacement of light bulbs, fuses, lenses, wiper blades, belts, hoses, batteries, checking fluid levels, changing fluids and filters, and lubricating components.
- Diagnose and perform accurately all phases of vehicle and equipment repair under moderate supervision including the repair of brakes and brake inspections, engine tune-ups, suspensions, drive trains, transmission clutches, and other repairs.
- Maintain records of all maintenance work completed on vehicles including parts and supplies used. Ensure that work orders are completed properly and accurately.
- Assist Tech III with preventative maintenance (PMs), safety maintenance inspections, and annual maintenance inspections.
- Remove and replace engine, transmission, and differential assemblies with Technician III supervision.
- Notify the supervisor of potentially dangerous equipment and corrective action is taken.
- Evaluate completed work prior to release and seek approval where required.
- Assist with road calls and emergency services as necessary.
- Adhere to FirstGroup standards, policies, and procedures.
- Move vehicles safely between job and work area.
- Clean vehicles as requested or required.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested or required.
Automotive Fleet Mechanic II Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred; vocational or technical certification in vehicle repair preferred.
- Valid driver's license required; Must be able to obtain Class B CDL with passenger endorsement within 3 months of hire.
- State inspection license (may be required).
- ASE Certifications preferred. Must participate in ASE testing program within 1 year (expected to have 3 ASEs within 12 months of hire).
- Intermediate mechanical aptitude and 3 years of automotive or diesel repair experience (preferred) or equivalent education and experience.
- Possess adequate mechanic tool inventory to complete all assigned duties.
- Adhere to standards set by state DOT for motor vehicle inspections and safety standards.
- Intermediate problem-solving ability.
- Intermediate computer skills.
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain an organized shop and clean work environment.
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Making sure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers is required.
- Be subject to a drug test.
Apply today to join our team!
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FirstGroup is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles, California, FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.
Apply on company website