Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 17,266 stores in 46 states as of February 26, 2021. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
This role is responsible for supporting distribution center operations through proper staffing, legal compliance, and creating a positive and safe employee work environment. Partners with DC management for all employee related issues. The HR Manager is the lead point of contact for all human resources responsibilities within the facility, with remote oversight from the Sr. Human Resources Manager as needed.
Duties / Responsibilities
§ Employee Relations – Coordinates and executes a positive employee relations strategy. Conducts orientation and onboarding program for new hires. Promotes open door policy and an environment free of organized labor through effective positive employee relations. Plans, manages, and tracks employee recognition and incentive programs. Coordinates and leads employee engagement champions to deliver quality and meaningful activities for employees and the community. Plans, prepares and maintains employee communication centers utilizing various media such as newsletter, posters, and memorandums. Conducts investigations, prepares investigative reports and makes recommendations to resolve employee issues based on policy, past practice and legal justifications. Assists supervisors to formulate disciplinary actions. Conducts exit interviews and make recommendations based on trends or notable comments for advising management for improvement.
§ Staffing – Develops and executes staffing strategy for both non-exempt and exempt roles. Selects applicants for interviews and provides support for management performing the steps of the interviewing and job offer processes as well as the automated on-boarding process. Manages internal job posting process and documentation. Partners with contracted agencies to align temporary staffing to meet business needs.
§ Process Management – Responsible for maintaining human resources records and leads clerical staff in records management. Prepares various reports from data bases and spreadsheets for the reporting of staff management. Maintains budget and expense control. Monitors supervisor compliance to record management requirements. Audits human resources records to insure data integrity. Maintains leaves of absences at the local level in partnership with third party and Store Support Center (SSC) staff. Prepares witness documentation and testifies at unemployment hearings. Advises management on legal/policy compliance. Maintains non-exempt HR staff time and attendance records. Leads non-exempt HR staff in job duties and projects. Recommends and coordinates employee recognition programs and celebrations. Completes annual budget and monthly expenditures reports. Works days, shifts and hours necessary to accomplish objectives.
o Training – Prepares and facilitates HR leadership training for interviewing, equal employment opportunity, diversity, fair labor standards and internal policies. Manages facility certification programs for hourly and salaried employees, to include Performance Management, learning plans and Biz Library participation. Takes lead in preparing and training staff on special projects and pilot programs.
o Compliance – Monitors and recommends actions to comply with state and Federal employment law and Company policy. Provides orientation to new employees regarding required compliance. Maintains employment posters in compliance.
o Safety - Active on safety team and participates in accident reviews. Monitors compliance of reporting requirements and makes recommendations for corrective actions.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Knowledge of all state and federal employment laws.
- Union defense strategic planning.
- Understanding of OSHA requirements and regulations and preventative measures for minimizing accidents.
- Basic understanding of state unemployment processes and guidelines.
- Knowledge of profit and loss analysis to determine staffing levels.
- Sound interview and evaluation skills.
- Ability to act as an advisor/consultant with management team through outstanding communication skills.
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access (databases) and payroll/personnel systems such as Lawson and KRONOS.
- Basic understanding of accounting and budgeting, including the ability to conduct budget forecasting and accrual accounting practices.
- Effective conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to develop and manage employee development processes.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development, or Industrial Employee Relations with a focus on employment law, or applicable training in these areas with another degree; equivalent work experience may be substituted for degree.
- Three to five years' experience in benefits, employee relations, or as a human resources generalist.
- Experience as an HR lead.
- Professional certification beneficial.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website