Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day!® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 16,979 stores in 46 states as of October 30, 2020. In addition to high-quality private brands, Dollar General sells products from America's most-trusted manufacturers such as Clorox, Energizer, Procter & Gamble, Hanes, Coca-Cola, Mars, Unilever, Nestle, Kimberly-Clark, Kellogg's, General Mills, and PepsiCo. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
Under supervision of Store Manager, manage the Non Perishable Food and General Merchandise Operations. Ensure efficient and effective inventory management, appealing and profitable merchandise presentation and quality customer service. Work with Store Manager to ensure a safe working environment and provide protection for company assets according to required procedures. Ensure staff and store compliance with all food handling rules and regulations. Provides support to other managers as requested.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interviews and effectively recommends the selection, hiring and assignment of Food and Non-Food Managers, Receiving/Pricing Lead Clerk, Lead associates and Sales Associates.
- Trains department managers in regard to maintaining correct stock levels and ordering merchandise, unloading trucks, stocking shelves, and serving customers. Trains employees properly on use and care of lifting and cleaning equipment. Trains all assigned associates in the proper and safe handling of food in compliance with rules and regulations.
- Works with Store Manager to ensure adequate scheduling coverage. Assesses work completion and follows up with associates regarding performance. Implements performance standards and measures. Makes recommendations to Store Managers regarding corrective actions as required. Suggests other store assignments to Store Manager to enhance development. Effectively recommends pay increases and promotions.
- Maintains close relations with vendor/supplier representatives for store. In particular, maintains regular contact with as many as twenty drop-ship suppliers to ensure timely and adequate delivery, quality merchandise, appealing display and proper billing.
- Works with Store Manager to ensure the execution of the stores 7 Day Workflow Plan as it relates to stocking standards and (Find –Fill – Fix) procedures.
- Ensures the stores HHT is used as an investigative device to prevent out of stocks as well as overstocks.
- Ensures the organization of the receiving area.
- Works with Store Manager to ensure that all merchandise is presented according to established practices and plans. Utilizes merchandise fixtures properly including presentation, product pricing and signage.
- Works with Store Manager to ensure POG execution, pricing integrity to include price changes, Was/Now, TRP, and Ad signs, as well as all Super Tuesday pricing and signing execution.
- Discusses and reviews operating statements with Store Manager to identify the store's business trends (sales, profitability, and turn), expense control opportunities, potential shrink improvement, etc. Maintain product and pricing knowledge for assigned store areas. Knows current product demand and predict and prepare for future demand. Understands price point and sales volume relationships.
- Maintains positive trends and compliance with company Standard Operating Procedures manual, policies and work processes and Store Manager's advice. For assigned areas:
- Ensures store meets or exceeds in-stock targets through the execution of the stores 7 Day Workflow Plan as it relates to stocking standards and (Find –Fill – Fix) procedures
- Ensures the efficient staging, stocking and storage of merchandise.
- Ensures that Tote Inventory Management processes are followed.
- Ensures that damaged and overstocked merchandise is marked down appropriately.
- Minimizes damages and markdowns, ensure accurate scanning and paperwork, and follow inventory control procedures to maintain accurate inventory levels.
- Ensures adherence to stated company security practices and cash control procedures when supervising operations in Store Manager's absence.
- Ensures customers' needs and requests are routinely addressed in an efficient and timely manner. Maintains daily contact with customers to understand merchandise expectations and desires.
- Takes a lead role in receipt and handling of new merchandise. Ensures sales shelf preparation and organization of staging areas for new deliveries. Directs and assists associates with unloading trucks. Directs new merchandise according to plan. Efficiently utilizes storeroom square footage to stock reserve inventory. Ensures proper rotation of perishable food items.
- Follows all prescribed and outlined cash handling procedures. Authorizes and signs for refunds and overrides. Counts register. Deposits money in bank. Assists with financial integrity of the store through strict cash accountability, key control compliance, and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Conducts safety meetings; helps to maintain a clean, well-organized store and facilitates a safe and secure working and shopping environment. Assists in ensuring that all equipment is functional and maintained to a required level of safety and sanitation.
- Follows company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications. Assists Store Manager in ensuring employee compliance. Completes all paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines.
- As requested by Store Manager, assists with entering payroll information into computer and providing specific training for employees. Acts as backup Store Manager in their absence.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret operating statements and identify corrective actions to negative trends, if needed.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE program, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, health regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform cash register functions to generate reports.
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling and termination practices in compliance with legal company requirements.
- Knowledge of all local and state food handling certifications and requirements.
- Basic knowledge of personal and network computer systems to communicate with corporate office, to create merchandise signage, to obtain and email data and information, etc.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Knowledge of food handling, safety and sanitation regulations.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and standards verbally and in writing to staff, suppliers and customers.
- Ability to interface with staff, suppliers and customers in a respectful and effective manner.
- Ability to develop and maintain organization and to attend to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations relating to store operations and business relationships.
- Ability to obtain the required local and state food handling management certifications.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary business school training preferred.
- Minimum of three years of retail store experience. Experience to include at least one to two years as a Department Head/Assistant Manager, or similar position in a retail grocery store or equivalent type operation, with a preferred sales volume of over $250,000 per week, or a current DG Market Department Manager with similar experience
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanner, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds. Occasional climbing using ladder.
- Regularly driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits and occasionally to attend management meetings and to other Dollar General stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to slippery floor surfaces.
- Occasionally exposed to skin irritants, toxins and hazardous cleaning solutions.
- Occasionally exposed to hazardous equipment with moving mechanical parts.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website