Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day!® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 16,979 stores in 46 states as of October 30, 2020. In addition to high-quality private brands, Dollar General sells products from America's most-trusted manufacturers such as Clorox, Energizer, Procter & Gamble, Hanes, Coca-Cola, Mars, Unilever, Nestle, Kimberly-Clark, Kellogg's, General Mills, and PepsiCo. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
Supports distribution center operations through proper staffing, legal compliance, and creating a positive and safe employee work environment. Acts as advisor to DC Director and Assistant Director for all employee-related issues
§ Employee Relations:
§ Partner with DC Director in leading effective employee communication and recognition while delivering new initiatives and proactively addressing employee relations issues.
§ Partners with Corporate Benefits group to communicate employee benefit programs.
§ Communicates and monitors the progressive counseling process for hourly and exempt employees; assists management team with terminations by providing coaching and counseling.
§ Conducts investigations, prepares investigative reports and makes recommendations to resolve employee issues based on policy, past practice and legal justifications.
§ Responsible for maintaining open door policy and an environment free of organized labor through effective positive employee relations.
§ Responsible for developing programs, processes and procedures to increase employee retention and engagement.
§ Responsible to develop and maintain a strategic partnership with DC Director and Assistant Directors within all areas of DC operations.
§ Partner with DC Management and employees to ensure steps are taken to maintain involvement with the local community to enhance Dollar General's position as an employer of choice.
§ Manages hourly and exempt recruiting and hiring processes. Manages contracted agencies for temporary staffing needs. Audits departments work product, ensuring compliance of all federal, state and local employment laws and regulations.
§ Process Management:
§ Partners with local Training Manager and Risk Management to enhance productivity of Company safety programs. Responsible to develop and maintain positive relations with health care providers at local and state levels.
§ Manages leave of absence and ADA compliance in partnership with Store Support Center (SSC Staff) and legal team to ensure accurate record keeping and administration of programs. Oversees participation at unemployment hearings.
§ Manages the DC HR budget to ensure DC operates at or below budget plan.
§ Responsible for the development and performance evaluation of local HR team.
Ensure timely use of available developmental programs: DLD, Train the Trainer, Leadership Development Program and all other development programs developed by the DCs. Create DC Learning Plan with DC Senior Management with quarterly recaps provided to DC VP Operations and DC HR SSC support team / to include all Lunch-n-Learns. Ensure all exempt employees receive interviewing training and support training team to ensure proper implementation of all orientation and onboarding programs.
Be an active participant and facilitator in training sessions at current DC location and in support of the DC network and other HR partners.
Manage HR functionality in DC with established DC guidelines and programs. Ensures compliance with State and Federal employment law and company policy.
Responsible for maintaining reporting compliance.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of all state and federal employment laws.
- Union defense strategic planning.
- Understanding of OSHA requirements and regulations and preventative measures for minimizing accidents.
- Basic understanding of state unemployment processes and guidelines.
- Knowledge of profit and loss analysis to determine staffing levels.
- Sound interview and evaluation skills.
- Ability to act as an advisor/consultant with management team through outstanding communication skills.
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access (databases) and payroll/personnel systems such as Lawson and KRONOS.
- Basic understanding of accounting and budgeting, including the ability to conduct budget forecasting and accrual accounting practices.
- Effective conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to develop and manage employee development processes.
Work Experience / Education
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development, or Industrial Employee Relations with a focus on employment law, or applicable training in these areas with another degree; equivalent work experience may be substituted for degree.
- Three to five years' experience in benefits, employee relations, or as a human resources generalist.
- Experience as an HR lead.
- Professional certification beneficial.
- Work is conducted in an office setting and on the DC floor.
Apply on company website