Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day!® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 16,979 stores in 46 states as of October 30, 2020. In addition to high-quality private brands, Dollar General sells products from America's most-trusted manufacturers such as Clorox, Energizer, Procter & Gamble, Hanes, Coca-Cola, Mars, Unilever, Nestle, Kimberly-Clark, Kellogg's, General Mills, and PepsiCo. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
Human resources position responsible for full service human resources management for both hourly and salaried employees, under the oversight of the Human Resources Manager for the facility.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Employee Relations – Coordinates and conducts orientation and onboarding program for new hires. Promotes open door policy and an environment free of organized labor through effective positive employee relations. Plans, manages, and tracks employee recognition and incentive programs. Coordinates and leads employee engagement champions to deliver quality and meaningful activities for employees and the community. Plans, prepares and maintains employee communication centers utilizing various media such as newsletter, posters, and memorandums. Conducts investigations, prepares investigative reports and makes recommendations to resolve employee issues based on policy, past practice and legal justifications. Assists supervisors to formulate disciplinary actions. Conducts exit interviews and make recommendations based on trends or notable comments for advising management for improvement.
- Staffing – Plans and coordinates recruitment of non-exempt applicants, develops and recommends recruiting strategies. Selects applicants for interviews and provides support for management performing the steps of the interviewing and job offer processes as well as the automated on-boarding process. Manages internal job posting process and documentation. Partners with contracted agencies to align temporary staffing to meet business needs.
- Process Management – Responsible for maintaining human resources records and leads clerical staff in records management. Prepares various reports from data bases and spreadsheets for the reporting of staff management. Maintains budget and expense control. Monitors supervisor compliance to record management requirements. Audits human resources records to insure data integrity. Maintains leaves of absences at the local level in partnership with third party and Store Support Center (SSC) staff. Prepares witness documentation and testifies at unemployment hearings. Advises management on legal/policy compliance. Maintains non-exempt HR staff time and attendance records. Leads non-exempt HR staff in job duties and projects. Recommends and coordinates employee recognition programs and celebrations. Assists HR Manager in preparing annual budget and monthly expenditures reports. Works days, shifts and ours necessary to accomplish objectives.
- Training – Prepares and facilitates HR leadership training for interviewing, equal employment opportunity, diversity, fair labor standards and internal policies. Manages facility certification programs for hourly and salaried employees, to include Performance Management, learning plans and Biz Library participation. Takes lead in preparing and training staff on special projects and pilot programs.
- Compliance – Monitors and recommends actions to comply with state and Federal employment law and Company policy. Provides orientation to new employees regarding required compliance. Maintains employment posters in compliance.
- Safety - Active on safety team and participates in accident reviews. Monitors compliance of reporting requirements and makes recommendations for corrective actions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
§ Thorough knowledge of human resource principles and practices including positive employee relations, hiring, training, performance management, and employment law
§ Ability to build effective working relationships at all levels of an organization
§ Skills in researching for legal compliance and analytic ability to formulate best practices
§ Effective oral and written communication skills, and ability to effectively present reports to management
§ Computers skills: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and HRIS such as Lawson, KRONOS and Sharepoint
Work Experience &/or Education:
- Knowledge and skill are normally acquired through post-secondary education at the bachelor's level in areas such as human resources management, industrial psychology and business administration.
- At least three to five years in a progressively responsible human resource generalist position if no college degree; or at least three years in a professional or managerial human resources position with a bachelor's degree.
- Professional human resources certification (or demonstrated progress towards certification) preferred but not required.
* Schedule for this role is second shift. Shift varies by Distribution Center, but typicallys is 2pm - 12am four days a week.
Apply on company website