Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operates more than 18,000 stores in 47 states, and we're still growing. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
Under supervision of the Store Manager, manages the Non-Perishable Food and Merchandise Operations. Assists the Store Manager with efficient and effective inventory management, appealing and profitable merchandise presentation and quality customer service. Assists the Store Manager in ensuring a safe working environment and provides protection for company assets according to required procedures. Assists the Store Manager in ensuring staff and store compliance with all applicable food handling rules and regulations.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow company work processes to receive, open and unpack boxes, cartons and totes of merchandise.
- Stock merchandise, rotate and face merchandise on shelves, and build merchandise displays.
- Restock returned and recovered merchandise.
- Open the store a minimum of one day per week; close the store a minimum of one day per week.
- Authorize and sign for refunds and overrides; count register; drive to bank and deposit money in bank.
- Assist in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through strict cashier accountability, key control and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Assist with management of the store in the Store Manager's absence.
- Assist the Store Manager, as directed, with scheduling employees; enter payroll information into computer.
- As directed by the Store Manager, order drop-shipments.
- Assist the Store Manager with ordering; follow prescribed ordering practices to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets; review ordering plan, seasonal direction, and inventory management issues on a weekly basis.
- Assist with the efficient staging, stocking and storage of merchandise.
- Ensure that merchandise is presented according to established practices and Store Manager direction; utilize merchandise fixtures properly including presentation, product pricing and signage.
- Assist in plan-o-gram implementation and maintenance.
- Assist in maintaining accurate inventory levels by controlling damages, markdowns, scanning, paperwork, and facility controls.
- Conduct safety meetings in absence of the Store Manager; help to maintain a clean, well-organized store and facilitate a safe and secure working and shopping environment.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Comply with company policies and procedures; assist the Store Manager in ensuring employee compliance.
- Assist Store Manager, as directed, in completing all paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines.
- Operate cash register and scanner to itemize and total customer's purchase; bag merchandise.
- Assist the Store Manager to ensure the execution of the stores 7 Day Workflow Plan as it relates to stocking standards and (Find –Fill – Fix) procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping, kneeling and reaching to run check out station and stock merchandise.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanner, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, rolltainers (four-wheel rolling merchandise carts) and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds. Occasional climbing using ladder.
- Regularly driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits, attend meetings and travel to other Dollar General stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- May be exposed to extreme cold in freezers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and interpret operating statements and identify corrective actions to negative trends, if needed.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE program, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, health regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform cash register functions to generate reports.
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling and termination practices in compliance with applicable law and company requirements.
- Knowledge of all local and state food handling certifications and requirements.
- Basic knowledge of personal and network computer systems to communicate with corporate office, to create merchandise signage, to obtain and email data and information, etc.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Knowledge of food handling, safety and sanitation regulations.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and standards verbally and in writing to staff, suppliers and customers.
- Ability to interface with staff, suppliers and customers in a respectful and effective manner.
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations relating to store operations and business relationships.
- Ability to obtain the required local and state food handling management certifications.
WORK EXPERIENCE &/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Three years of retail store experience preferred. Experience to include at least one to two years as a Department Head/Assistant Manager, or similar position in a retail grocery store or equivalent type operation or a current DG key carrier position with similar experience.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website