Summary of Job Purpose and Function
The primary purpose and function of the Relief Veterinarian is to provide preventative care, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and injuries of Pets.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Ensure the Safety of Pets, clients and associates by utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and labs.
- Obtain relevant information and history from clients, and maintain proper and complete medical records.
- Educate clients about preventative care, Pet health needs, any diagnosis or treatment, hospital services and other related information.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service including prescribing and administering preventative care for the wellness needs of Pets and diagnosing and treating diseases and injuries of Pets.
- Effectively communication diagnosis and treatment plan to veterinary medical team and client.
- Ensure local, state and federal laws are followed, including proper maintenance of the controlled substance inventory log.
- Understand and follow state guidelines regarding duties of veterinary assistants and licensed veterinary technicians.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Capabilities and Experience (can do)
- Ability to multi-task - Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Surgical skills - Proven ability to perform all basic surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and equipment.
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
- Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions.
- Compassionate commitment to Pet care - Ensures hospital teams confidently present Pet treatment recommendations and associated fees as an advocate for the Pet, gaining the client's agreement to proceed with the treatment most appropriate to the Pet's current condition and long term health. Act as an advocate for the Pet.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.
- Management ability - Effectively enforces policies. Achieves high productive output while maintaining high morale. Encourages efforts toward common goals. Understands and utilizes a coaching/counseling philosophy for performance management.
Attitudes (will do)
- Initiative - shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield, Pet Hospital. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
Special Working Conditions
- Ability to be confident around Pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of Pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Minimal travel required, possibly for vendor visits and associate education.
Experience, Education and/or Training
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) or equivalent degree required.
- License in good standing with the applicable state veterinary board.
- License with the Drug Enforcement Agency required.
- Proven ability to perform all basic surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and equipment.
Banfield Pet Hospital strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
Apply on company website