Join BAE Systems' Combat Vehicles team to be part of a diverse and enthusiastic team who develops vehicles and products that protect the lives of those that serve. We are searching for a well-experienced powertrain cooling engineer who will be responsible for the successful development, integration, and test validation of cooling systems and components. In this role, you will work with suppliers and turn requirements into parts for a variety of combat vehicles.
The Lead Cooling Systems Engineer can work from any Combat Mission Systems site including Sterling Heights, MI; San Jose, CA; Minneapolis, MN; Phoenix, AZ; and York, PA, and we may consider a location near any BAE Systems facility for a well-qualified candidate.
What You Will Do:
In this role, you will develop system cooling system designs for various powertrain, hydraulic, and vehicle electronics systems. This includes sizing and selection of components such as heat exchangers, pumps, and fans. The candidate will perform system level thermal analysis and trade-off studies in compliance with government performance, survivability, reliability, availability, maintainability criteria for military tracked vehicles. You will also have the opportunity to work with external vendors, leading them through the engineering development cycle. This role will touch on many other aspects of engineering, specifically:
- Provide technical direction into design studies, concept selection, detail design, manufacturing, and test processes
- Support development of computer simulation models to analyze system performance
- Provide technical direction to CAD designers for system layout and packaging decisions
- Prepare component and subsystem technical specifications and documents required for sourcing
- Define component and vehicle system interfaces and confirms compatibility with other interfacing systems
- Interface with other functions such as Systems Engineering, supply chain, suppliers, and customers to meet program goals
- Participate and support resolution of product quality issues
- Lead and support technical reviews
- Develop cooling system validation test plans
- We don't design your “daily driver.” Our products are world class, combat vehicles that are designed to meet the world's most rigorous environments.
- Keeping the world safe and secure is serious business. That is why we offer an accommodating work environment (or 9/80 schedule) to support the balance in your life and keep you performing at your best.
- We foster career development from on-the-job training and leadership programs to collaborating with leading experts and seasoned colleagues.
- We are committed to our diversity and inclusion efforts. Join one of Employee Resource Groups in our Multi-Cultural Network to celebrate our differences.
- We foster your service ethic through community investment opportunities. Employees can make financial contributions, request matching gifts and participate in volunteering opportunities.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
• Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or closely related field.
• Experience developing cooling system requirements and architecture.
• Experience developing material solutions (integrated cooling system/heat exchangers/pumps/fans/fluid routing) to meet requirements and support architectures.
• Understanding of the types of trades/risks required to develop a balanced cooling system.
• Knowledge of cooling system interactions with various integrated vehicle systems (engine/transmission/HED/HVAC/etc).
• Clear understanding of cooling system and component testing.
• Demonstrated capability to design and analyze balanced cooling systems.
• Ability to lead small engineering teams.
• Demonstrated ability to manage suppliers through the use of Statements of Work and requirements documents.
• Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
• Initiative and a positive attitude with the ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Passion for developing vehicles and products that protect the lives of those that serve.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
• Knowledge of military standards and specifications
• Familiarity with military vehicles and development processes
• Experienced with Visual Basic or Python to code scripts
• Highly skilled with Microsoft Excel for data analysis
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website