BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Provides support to the patient care team, by performing direct patient care, under the direction of a Registered Nurse. Provides assistance, collects specimens, and performs limited tests per physician order according to established procedures and training.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supports other direct caregivers as needed, under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Performs activities of daily living including but not limited to:
- Heights and weights
- Bedpans – Toileting
- JP/NG drain care
- Positioning/turns/skin care
- Ostomy care
- Meal intake %
- Call lights
- Empties foleys
- Transfers to chair/log roll
- I&O's and charting in Cerner
- Pass Water
- Vital Signs
- Oral Care
- Catheter care
- Maintaining safety
- Preventative foam dressing
- Distributes clean linen and collect dirty linen.
- Transports monitored and non-monitored assigned patients throughout all areas of the hospital as directed. Assists with patient transfers and discharges, including removal of equipment from patient rooms post-discharge.
- Assists patient with menu completion. Delivers nourishments to assigned patient; provides water, ice, and between meal dietary needs to patients; cleans/maintains patient refrigerator and updates refrigerator temperature log, as assigned.
- Cleans equipment/utility room and stocks rooms.
- Collects specimens and obtains blood glucose according to established procedures and per physician orders and policy. Arranges for transport of specimens to laboratory as appropriate.
- Performs EKGs, removal of Foley catheters, and bladder scans under the guidance of a registered nurse.
- Places patient on monitor telemetry leads, if applicable.
- Applies external devices (such as SCD's, Pulse Oximetry, TPump/Aqua K pad, etc.) per physician order.
- Maintains safety initiatives including but not limited to hourly rounding, answering lights, monitoring patients who are a high risk for falls, and may be asked to provide 1:1 bedside companionship for patients as indicated.
- Ability to maintain composure in high-pressure situations.
- Conveys an attitude of understanding, trust, and compassion for individuals.
- Good communication skills.
- Commits to providing exceptional customer service to our patients and visitors. Commits to treating coworkers with respect and dignity and will follow our Non-negotiable Standards to promote a consistent positive experience for patients, employees and visitors.
- Documents care provided in Cerner.
- If applicable to the clinical unit, the applicant will have to demonstrate Monitor Transport Technician competency within the first 4-6 months and then annually after the initial completion of the Monitor Transport Technician class. The first 365 days requires demonstration of competency 3 times.
- Complete house wide mandatory education and maintains Basic Life Support Certification and any licensure if applicable.
Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by the incumbent in this position. This description of duties is not intended to be all-inclusive or to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign additional tasks of a similar nature or level of responsibility.
- High School graduate
- AHA Healthcare Provider Training is required (BLS)
- Adheres to the hospital attendance policy and will make every effort to consistently be punctual when reporting to work and during daily activities.
- Basic computer skills are required
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
- Working hours vary according to departmental needs.
- Works under the direct supervision of an RN.
- Lunch periods will be assigned by the Charge RN.
- Requires full range of body motion which may include handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination
- Requires standing and walking for extended periods of time
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range
- May require exposure to communicable disease, body fluids, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, and other potentially hazardous conditions common to a clinical environment, such as risk of falls, strains, etc.
- Patient Care Technicians will be working weekend and holiday rotation and varied shifts per clinical unit area.
HAZARDOUS EXPOSURE CATEGORY
Apply on company website