BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Provides support to the patient care team, by performing direct patient care, under the direction of a Registered Nurse. Provides assistance, collects specimens, and performs limited tests per physician order according to established procedures and training.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supports other direct caregivers as needed, under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Performs activities of daily living including but not limited to:
- Positioning/turns/skin care
- Meal intake %
- Empties Foleys
- Transfers to chair/log roll
- Pass water
- Oral care
- Maintaining safety
- Heights and weights
- Ostomy care
- Answer call lights
- I&O's and charting in Cerner
- Vital signs
- Catheter care
- Venipuncture/ drawing CBN's
- Makes beds and performs other special housekeeping duties as may be directed. Distributes clean linen and collect dirty linen.
- Transports monitored and non-monitored assigned patients throughout all areas of the hospital as directed. Assists with patient transfers and discharges, including removal of equipment from patient rooms post-discharge.
- Assists patient with menu completion. Delivers nourishments to assigned patient; provides water, ice, and between meal dietary needs to patients; cleans/maintains patient refrigerator and updates refrigerator temperature log, as assigned.
- Cleans equipment/utility room and stocks rooms.
- Collects specimens and obtains blood glucose according to established procedures and per physician orders and policy. Arranges for transport of specimens to laboratory as appropriate.
- Performs EKGs, removal of Foley catheters, and bladder scans under the guidance of a registered nurse.
- Places patient on monitor telemetry leads.
- Applies external devices (such as SCD's, Pulse Oximetry, TPump, etc.) per physician order.
- Maintains safety initiatives including but not limited to: hourly rounding, answering lights, monitoring patients who are a high risk for falls, and may be asked to provide 1:1 bedside companionship for patients as indicated.
- Ability to maintain composure in high-pressure situations.
- Conveys an attitude of understanding, trust, and compassion for individuals.
- Good communication skills
- Commits to providing exceptional customer service to our patients and visitors. Commits to treating coworkers with respect and dignity and will follow our Non-negotiable Standards to promote a consistent positive experience for patients, employees and visitors.
- Documents care provided in Cerner.
- The applicant will have to demonstrate competency every 3 months for the first year of taking on the Patient Care Technician role with annual competency after the first year.
- Complete housewide mandatory education and maintains Basic Life Support Certification and any licensure if applicable.
- High School graduate
- AHA Healthcare Provider Training is required (BLS)
- Adheres to the hospital attendance policy and will make every effort to consistently be punctual when reporting to work and during daily activities.
- Basic computer skills are required
- Working hours vary according to departmental needs.
- Works under the direct supervision of an RN.
- Lunch periods will be assigned by the Charge RN.
- Requires full range of body motion which may include handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination
- Requires standing and walking for extended periods of time
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range
- May require exposure to communicable disease, body fluids, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, and other potentially hazardous conditions common to a clinical environment, such as risk of falls, strains, etc.
Check all factors that are present as essential job requirements and check whether the factor is performed.
O = Occasionally = 0- 33% of the work shift or 0- 32 repetitions.
F = Frequently = 34-66% of the work shift or 32-200+ repetitions.
C = Constantly = 67-100% of the work shift or 200+ repetitions.
N = Not essential job requirement.
O Lifting (70 pounds)
O Carrying (70 pounds)
O Pushing (70 pounds)
N Climbing with (70 pounds)
O Reaching Up/Reaching Forward
HAZARDOUS EXPOSURE CATEGORY
This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all job duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. Aultman reserves the right to revise this job description. Employment with Aultman is at-will, meaning both Aultman and employees have the right to end the employment relationship at any time and for any reason. The at-will nature of this employment cannot be altered by and verbal statement or alleged verbal agreement. It may only be changed by a legally-binding written contract covering employment status. Aultman will reasonable accommodate employees or applicants with disabilities, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, who are otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation, unless such accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on Aultman or poses a direct threat to the health and safety of the individual or others that cannot be sufficiently mitigated by reasonable accommodation. Any applicant or employee who requires an accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment should notify the Human Resource Department and request such an accommodation.
Apply on company website