At Wentworth-Douglass, we value people who contribute to patient-centered care that enhances community health; we recognize and reward those who share our values and transform our patients' lives. We invite you to explore opportunities, cultivate community wellness and professional growth.
Orthopedic Technologist: Demonstrates and provides expertise to the professional staff in the care and management of patient as directed by physician and/or requested by staff.
Perform selected, direct, age-specific patient assessment duties and responsibilities under the delegation of an RN with a provider's order as indicated for protocols & diagnostic tests or approved collaborative practice order.
1. PATIENT ASSESSMENT: Perform selected, direct, age-specific patient assessment duties and responsibilities under the delegation of a LPN/RN with a providers order as indicated for protocols & diagnostic tests or approved collaborative practice order.
a. Welcomes patients and introduces self and role (RN, MA, etc.), in a manner that is consistent with Prompt Care service standards and the Language of Caring program. Verify patient identification using two patient identifiers.
b. Rooms patient and assists with triage process by starting the patient interview and assessment, completing accurate patient information to include, but not limited to, vital signs, weight, pain assessment, chief complaint, medical history and reconciled medication list, specific to population served and per policy, in collaboration with the LPN/RN.
c. Recognizes and reports abnormal physiological monitoring data (vital signs, etc.) and life threatening emergencies, notifying LPN/RN/provider promptly.
d. Collaborates & communicates relevant patient data to LPN/RN/providers clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
e. Anticipates needs of patient encounter to optimize LPN/RN & provider time. Assists providers with patient disposition (DME/dressing/splint application), procedures (equipment & supplies in room and ready for use), and ensures other elements of encounter (paperwork & past encounter information, etc.) are made available. Patients changed if applicable.
f. Recognizes and reports signs/symptoms of patient abuse/neglect or intent to inflict self-inflicted harm, as well as initiates intervention for aggressive/violent patients.
g. Prioritizes and organizes delegated tasks and completes in an efficient and timely manner, requesting and utilizing available resources & tools to meet the patient/family/practice needs.
h. Recognizes patients at risk for falls. Removes any environmental risk (rolling stools, etc.). Uses a wheelchair for at risk patients.
2. PATIENT CARE: Performs selected, direct, age-specific patient care duties and responsibilities under the delegation of an LPN/RN with a providers order as indicated for protocols & diagnostic tests.
. Records pertinent, easily legible patient data in the medical record.
a. Utilizes Pain Scale and documents per policy, to include, but not limited to, initial assessment of pain.
b. Proactively monitors the patient to ensure that they are seen in a timely and efficient manner. Keep patients alerted to delays and offer comfort measures when applicable. Provides accurate explanations & instructions at an appropriate time and place and at a level of understanding to the patient, parent or family.
c. Competency in performing DME application, with pre & post assessment documented in the medical record. Completes required DME paperwork.
d. Evaluates own performance and recognizes growth opportunities. Shows a desire for new knowledge and skills to enhance service to patient and achieve organizational goals. Seeks constructive feedback regarding his or her own practice.
3. ORTHOPEDIC TECHNOLOGIST: Demonstrates and provides expertise to the professional staff in the care and management of patient as directed by physician and/or requested by staff.
. Demonstrates the ability to apply, adjust and move casts, soft goods and braces.
a. Assesses patient comfort related to casts, braces and dressings. Assists with comfort measures.
b. Demonstrates ability to assist physician/physician assistant in orthopedic care according to the needs of the practice (e.g. reduction of fractures, minor surgery, injections, aspirations.).
c. Performs surgical dressing changes and wound care. Removes stapes, sutures and pins.
d. Instructs and educates patients at a level of understanding and motivation in all aspects of cast, brace, wound care and various exercise programs.
e. Stocks and maintains patient education materials.
f. Under direct order from physicians/physician assistants, travels to hospitals, nursing homes and rehabilitation centers to perform Orthopedic Technologist duties.
g. Trains, assists, mentors and evaluates new and current Orthopedic Technologists or other related health care professionals.
h. Coordinates consistent quality patient care by acting as a technical advisor to the practice, nursing homes and rehabilitation centers.
i. Maintains necessary paperwork including daily patient logs of encounters, slips, phone calls and cast room inter-tech message log.
j. Documents patient care thoroughly, accurately and concisely.
4. ORTHOPEDIC TECHNOLOGIST: Maintains orthopedic equipment and supplies inventory assuring that equipment is kept clean and repaired and that supplies are maintained as appropriate par levels.
. Develops/maintains listing of all orthopedic equipment, supplies, appliances and devices used within the cast rooms.
a. Assures a par level of all equipment and supplies is maintained to ensure availability.
b. Maintains a clean and safe working environment by cleaning and stocking cast rooms, as well as collecting and preparing instruments for transport to sterile processing.
5. Effectively communicates with patients/family members.
. Communicates with patients in a manner that is consistent with WHP service expectations and the Language of Caring program as outlined in support of patient satisfaction. Verifies patient using two patient identifiers
a. Notifies patients and/or relays provider recommendations based on the specific direction/instruction of the physician or provider. Appropriately documents the follow-up that was conducted per office protocol. Caution used when communicating on the phone in patient care areas as well as appropriate response and communication via the patient portal.
6. Works to improve Press-Ganey patient satisfaction scores.
. Works effectively and cooperatively with other members of the team to identify opportunities for improvement in Press-Ganey results and actively participates in recommending plans of action to address any identified issues.
7. Works to improve processes related to hospital initiatives and other clinical quality measures.
. Works effectively and cooperatively with other members of the team to identify opportunities for improving processes or other clinical initiatives within the WHP system. Actively participates in recommending plans of action to address any identified issues.
8. Other general duties as assigned/directed.
. Maintains work area in a professional and organized manner.
a. Performs all other duties as assigned/directed.
Experience Minimum Required
• 1-3 years related patient care experience and an Ortho Casting Certificate
• 1-3 years experience in orthopedics, 6 months experience as an Ortho Tech
Education Minimum Required
• Successful completion of Ortho Tech program and Ortho Tech Cert or Registered Ortho Tech within 1 year of hire.
Special Skills Minimum Required
• Ability to perform tasks requiring extensive hand-eye coordination
• Strong computer skills
• Basic medical terminology
• Ability to organize work priorities and meet specific objectives under time constraints
• Ability to multi-task
• Strong interpersonal skills
Special Skills Preferred/Desired
• Extensive knowledge in the theories and practice of orthopedics
• Thorough knowledge of orthopedic nomenclature anatomy and disease process
Licensure and/or Certifications Required
• Orthopedic Technologist Certified (OTC) or Registered Ortho Tech (ROT) within 1 year of hire
• CPR within 3 months of hire
Apply on company website