Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, a subsidiary of Massachusetts General Hospital, is renowned as one of the largest acute care hospitals in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire and Southern Maine. At Wentworth-Douglass, we value people who contribute to patient-centered care that enhances community health; we recognize and reward those who share our values and transform our patients' lives. We invite you to explore opportunities, cultivate community wellness and professional growth.
1. Professional Performance Standards- Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to management. Coordinate all aspects of program development, team supervision and budget oversight.
a. Working within the close collaboration of the Laboratory Services Director, responsible for managing, planning, coordination of all daily technical and administrative functions for the Laboratory and Sections.
b. Oversees the operations and the corresponding target results of the Laboratory Services Department. Ensures the overall effectiveness of human and capital assets across the technical service areas. Carefully monitors test capacity & utilization. Carefully monitors pre-established benchmark productivity standards and makes personnel schedule changes as necessary to maintain established benchmark targets.
c. Interview, hires, counsels and terminates personnel in areas of responsibility in accordance with WDH policy, procedures and processes. Acts as a role model for ultimate responsibility and develops processes and standards to ensure team member responsibility. Makes corrective actions as required.
d. Monitors and reconciles monthly financial statements and expense reports, as required. Notifies the laboratory Director of necessary journal entry changes required for expense corrections. Assures accuracy of patient billing.
e. Acts as a department subject matter field expert and liaison to various clients by following closely industry testing protocol trends and changes in technology trending. Makes recommendations to Director for laboratory growth opportunities based on relevant research. Is responsible for maintaining, developing, promoting or launching new strategic initiatives as planned under guidance of the Laboratory Services Director or Medical Director. Makes responsible recommendations for capital equipment acquisitions.
f. Ensures that self and all team member annual performance appraisals are completed on time. Ensures that Healthstream content is appropriate for the current clinical setting.
g. Actively seeks to reduce the cost of service. Negotiates contract pricing for goods and services.
h. Manages the modality operations to ensure team members follow established operations and protocols for safe and effective care. Ensures that protocol and procedure manuals include recommended criteria and are reviewed and revised on an annual basis. Assures that the Medical Director sign's off each year revising accordingly.
i. Effectively monitors payroll compliance for accurate completion of all payroll functions within specified time frames. Assures Kronos compliance through team member audits and reviews trends.
j. Continuously monitors technologists for demonstrated performance competency and properly applies Just Culture principles according to program design.
2. Professional Performance Standards - Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to improving quality.
. Monitors and evaluates orientation guidelines. Completes orientation training, schedules and programs.
a. Completes Joint Commission inspection rounds and education for team members. Establishes and ensures compliance with National Patient Safety Goals.
b. Responsible for Quality Outcomes for the Laboratory Services Department. Ensures department standards and monitoring procedures are consistent with the outcomes, goals, and objectives. Collaborates with corresponding leadership peers & team members to address quality, develop and implement policies and procedures pertaining to work processes and team member expectations. Assesses equipment, reviews QC.
c. Generates ideas for Six-Sigma or Lean project process improvement strategies, and actively participates in projects.
d. Develops and monitors team member and department specific competencies and conducts annual training exercises.
e. Maintains compliance to all regulatory agency requirements at both the Federal, State and accrediting agency (CAP). Annually reviews regulations for changes and makes the necessary changes to be in compliance with all regulatory agencies.
3. Performance Improvement- Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to improving employee engagement and patient satisfaction.
. Actively pursues customer service excellence. Engages team members and encourages group participation and innovation. Uses Press-Ganey data or other data received on Laboratory operations, to foster improvement plans. Seeks to surpass a Press Ganey threshold percentile rank as designated annually and ensures team members are focused on achieving benchmark results.
a. Actively leads team member Action Plans and fosters continuous employee engagement against a predetermined organization- wide benchmark.
b. Engages referring physicians to improve care coordination and resolve work flow issues.
4. Professional Performance Standards - Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to professional performance.
. Monitors personal work ethics, behaviors, and attitude. Seeks out others to address conflicts in respectful way. Allows time to listen to others concerns and contributions.
a. Develops positive medical staff relationships. Works to build collaborative relationships. Exhibits flexibility in assignments and performance expectations based on needs of department.
b. Evaluates own performance and recognizes opportunities for improvement. Recognizes his or her strength and uses them to benefit patients, coworkers, and the profession. Utilizes project management skills.
c. Recognizes and takes advantage or opportunities for educational growth. Recognizes and takes advantage of opportunities for improvement in technical and problem solving skills for oneself and staff.
Experience Minimum Required
• Recent consecutive experience in specialty to include the demonstrated abilities in teaching and/or human resource management.
• Five years with supervisory experience
• Previous Laboratory management experience as s either a Lab Manager or Director
Education Minimum Required
• Degree in medical technology from a NAACLS accredited MT program; BS in science
• MBA; degree in Medical Technology and Board certified.
Training Minimum Required
• NAACLS program completed or experience as required.
• Medical Technology program with registry
Special Skills Minimum Required
• Ability to positively promote the values, goals and decisions of the organization.
• Proven track record of successfully communicating and building relationships with people of various backgrounds, skills levels, beliefs and values, both inside and outside the organization.
• Strong ability to coach all members of the team for success.
• Excellent verbal and written skills to facilitate communication.
• Ability to work in a collaborative manner with all members of the team.
• Willing and able to share information with and provide feedback to staff to promote growth.
• Ability to adapt to multiple pressures, meet time sensitive deadlines and maintain confidentiality.
• Familiar with computer and computerized equipment, organization and team skills
Special Skills Preferred/Desired
• Working knowledge of computer and computerized equipment.
Licensure and/or Certifications Required
• Nationally accepted laboratory certifying agency.
• Specialty certs may include SBB.
• SC,SH, SI, SM
Licensure and/or Certifications Preferred/Desired
Apply on company website