Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
The People Manager is a member of the Waste Management People organization. The People Manager will be tasked with providing world class strategic people solutions and guidance to assigned managers – with a primary focus on tactical execution and support of internal manager clients. The People Manager is responsible for supporting and ensuring the execution of initiatives that build trust, employee engagement, leadership effectiveness, leadership development and workforce efficiency for a diverse workforce in an emerging and fast paced enterprise. The People Manager will direct and control People policies and programs to provide and maintain an effective organization which will enable the company to achieve its short and long-term goals. This role will manage People Advisors and support staff activities of the People department.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Identifies and activates People solutions that impact the company's ability to meet business objectives. Must accurately diagnose organization issues, develop solutions and implement action plans
- Plans, manages and coordinates various People functions and organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to accomplish activities.
- Leadership activity will include managing talent through proper succession planning programs for key contributor and management positions, learning and development programs for preparing employees for career advancement and employee development programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business of the company and the industry.
- Execute area/business unit/functional-level strategies to improve organizational health and culture. Lead and participate in diversity & inclusion initiatives.
- Coaches and advises managers, supporting multiple functions/departments on people matters.
- Delivers People solutions that are considered value added, measurable, directly tied to the operating unit and/or functional department level business objectives.
- Participates as a key member of district operating unit and/or functional department leadership team providing people solutions to improve business impact.
- Proposes People solutions and/or organizational changes at an operating unit and/or department level based upon an analysis of operational opportunities.
- Partners with appropriate Centers of Expertise (COE) to execute People strategies, initiatives and programs to support business objectives at an Area and/or Functional level.
- Leads/manages projects and/or participates as a project member on People initiatives as assigned.
- Hires, leads, develops, and coaches members of the People Organization.
- Develops written and oral presentations that have high clarity and impact. Provides regular written reports as needed to business unit and/or functional department leadership.
- Serves as an advisor to management for employment related legal issues and ensures local compliance with federal, state, provincial, and local employment laws.
- Execute organizational change initiatives that support the company's strategic business framework.
- Proactively identifies and applies new ideas to adapt to changing work demands.
- Partners with the People Director to identify and prioritize opportunities for process improvement and new initiatives.
- Provides technical advice, knowledge, coaching and guidance to others within the human resources discipline.
- Partner with local teams to ensure ongoing recruitment outreach.
- Oversees / monitors new employee orientation to foster engagement.
- Oversees employee separation notices and related documentation and orchestrates and/or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Prepares reports and recommends procedures to reduce absenteeism and turnover.
- Oversees training on company policy, programs and other issues as they arise.
- Counsels managers on various employee and labors relation matters. Partners with COE accordingly.
- Participates in the budget process; analyzes data (year-to-date, year-over-year, to budget, to prior year, etc.)
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of managerial, advisory and coordinator employees. This may include direct supervision of 1 or more full-time employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Required: Bachelor's Degree; major in Industrial/Labor Relations, Human Resources Management, Psychology, or related field preferred. 5 years of experience managing human resource systems, process, programs, initiatives and professionals.
Preferred: Master's Degree in Business Administration, Labor Relations, or Human Resources Management preferred or equivalent experience, and 7 years of experience.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
SPHR certification preferred.
C. Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
· Possess & leverage human resource discipline, operational and/or business acumen to influence shareholder value. Understanding of, and some experience with, most or all core aspects of Human Resource Management (staffing; employee relations; performance management; leadership development; training).
- Ability to think strategically and translate concepts into actionable items
- Must possess consultative style and approach with proven ability to develop credible relationships with business partners
· Strong analytical & diagnostic skills. Utilizes data analytics to identify People insights to make proactive solutions.
- Ability to assess & develop individuals' knowledge, skills, and ability. Talent management and succession planning experience preferred
· Innovative mindset identifying new ways to solve work problems resulting in unique/differentiated solutions.
- Ability to gain acceptance of ideas and commitment to action that support specific work outcomes through professional influence. Courage to make tough decisions and deliver difficult messages with professionalism and poise
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to present their point of view in varied business situations
- Ability to understand the business operations from both a strategic and tactical perspective
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects with overlapping tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
· Strong employee relations skills.
· Strong labor relations skills – preferred.
- Experience in multiple disciplines human resources – preferred.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to travel 10% - 40% depending upon location.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) a significant portion of the work day.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements occasionally as necessitated by travel to field operating units.
- Normal setting for this job is an office setting.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Apply on company website