Why work for Waste Management?
STABILITY. GREAT PAY. ADVANCEMENT
Are you tired of just doing preventative maintenance or working only on engines? Take the next step and put your high level of skill - hydraulics, electrical, diagnostics - to good use with modern maintenance practices and technologies. We care about our Mechanic's safety and show it by demanding solid safety practices of all our mechanics and managers. You'll be rewarded for your skills and ability as well as provided with opportunities for growth. Check us out, WM may be the company for you.
Why should you apply? We invest in you!
- Competitive Pay
- Industry-leading health insurance
- Yearly tool allowance, boot allowance, uniforms, safety vests and protective eye wear
- Paid vacation after 90 days
- Two weeks of off-site professional training
- Non flat-rate shops
- 401(K) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Employee Discount programs
- An opportunity to work with an empowering workforce and career advancement
***This is a 2nd shift position***About the Job
Our Mechanics are trained to provide superior maintenance on both diesel equipment and on our growing fleet of CNG trucks. You'll perform preventive maintenance inspection (PMI), troubleshoot, repair, and rebuild major components on vehicles and equipment. You'll work independently on equipment that requires a high level of skill with hydraulics, electrical, and diagnostics. As Lead on the Floor or Shift, you'll provide guidance and training along with assisting other Mechanics as directed by the Fleet manager.What Does It Take to Be a Lead Diesel Mechanic?
Below are the minimum qualifications to be a fit for this job.
- Four (4) years of relevant work experience.
- Skill in operating tools equipment, parts, and procedures utilized during the repair and servicing of vehicles and equipment
- Skill in repair of special purpose equipment, ability to effectively communicate needed repairs or tasks
- Ability to diagnose defects in and repair a variety of equipment and vehicles
- Ability to utilize fleet maintenance software program
- Knowledge of Total Tire Maintenance Program may be required.
- A desire to have a career path leading to a management position would be ideal.
- Must possess sound decision-making abilities and be able to prioritize work load.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Valid driver's license and must have a clean driving record.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
This shop is modern, clean, and organized! This shop participates in a mounted wheel program and focuses on delivering a high rate of efficiency. Our mechanics achieve this high level of efficiency due to the collaborative environment they've created that focuses on sharing best practices. If you're looking for a great team environment, this is it.Job Fundamentals
To be successful as a Lead Diesel Mechanic, you'll be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Ensures compliance with all fleet processes (e.g. parts ordering, scheduling, fleet prides, warranty capture)
- Provides feedback to Fleet Manager on performance and daily progress of activities
- Ensures timely and efficient functions within the shop.
- Performs periodic QCI inspections and ensures the timely and effective repair of any problems identified during an inspection.
- Provides assistance, guidance and direction to other maintenance personnel.
- Reviews and completes work orders on a daily basis.
- Provides guidance on daily work for Mechanics.
- Will occasionally direct work assignments to Mechanics
- PM scheduling, review, schedule, sign PM's, sign off others
- Reviews completed PM's and applicable paperwork for other Mechanics
- Makes recommendations regarding scheduling and assigned tasks in accordance with business needs
- May be required to Lead safety meetings
- Assists with monitoring required WMU training for other Mechanics to ensure compliance
- Provide estimates on time and material costs for repairs and new parts.
- Orders and receives parts and supplies as needed.
- Performs proficient inspection, diagnosis and moderately complex repair of assigned vehicles and equipment
- Utilizes vehicle computer electronics systems to interpret failure modes to initiate or assign repairs.
- Advises Fleet manager immediately if additional work is needed or if repairs cannot be completed within the Standard Repair Times (SRTs).
- Inspects the quality of outside/supplier repairs and or rebuilds. Assesses structural damage and assigns needed repairs utilizing the most appropriate method(s).
- Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
- Conducts safety checks on vehicles. Performs maintenance related work as required.
- Prioritize repairs / deficiencies, makes immediate decisions regarding out of service status, and determines repair priorities.
- In the absence of supervision, will provide maintenance supervisory duties.
- Ability to ensure and enforce all shop related safety protocol, (administer) – Follow and reinforce with others all safety processes and protocols
Work Environment / Physical Demands
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day
- You'll handle objects less than 30 pounds most of the work day
- You'll be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) often
- You'll be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements often
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, "Apply” today!About WM
Waste Management (WM) is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Apply on company website