Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Thank you for your interest in Waste Management. In response to COVID-19, we will be conducting our review process through creative solutions. Your patience and flexibility is appreciated as our process may involve virtual solutions and take longer than normal. Interview process and timing may be delayed and will vary by site.
don't watch other people build their careers…..build YOUR own!
Stability. Great Pay. Advancement.
Ready to roll with us? Are you ready to drive your career to the next level? Join the Waste Management team today. You'll develop a career focused on positive change and advancement. Waste Management: It's not trash; it's a dependable job you can make into a career.
Location: South Gate, CA
Schedule: Start as early as 5AM until route is finished and occasional Saturdays
The Opportunity: Drivers are essential to our Waste Management team. You'll operate Day and Sleeper cab tractors with up to 53' trailers and tankers. Bobtail and stakebed work may also be included. You will be loading and transporting drums and totes to disposal sites and doing paperwork review, including manifests. You will also be interacting with customers daily. You'll navigate high traffic and congested roadways, driveways, alleyways and lots. Your high skilled driving maneuvers will be put to the test! We'll look to you for guidance on route efficiencies, best practices and to work as a team player in order to build a stronger Waste Management.
Some Basic Requirements:
Three (3) years of experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL or equivalent military driving within the last 7 years
Class A CDL with HazMat & Tanker endorsements
Current 40 Hour Hazwoper certification
Prior Hazardous Waste transportation experience
Overnight hotel or sleeper cab stays multiple times per month anticipated
Legally eligible to work in the United States? If yes, then this is the job for you.
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY? WE INVEST IN YOU!
We'll provide you with a competitive salary and a top-notch benefits package, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short- and Long-Term Disability. You can participate in our Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP), a fantastic company match on 401K, and more! You'll also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days.
The Company: Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
READY TO SUCCEED?
Don't delay and apply today!
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Operates hazardous waste transportation vehicle (e.g., Flatbed or Van Trailers, End Dump, 10-Wheeler and Roll-Off) with skill and proficiency conforming to all rules and regulations required for a Hazardous Material DOT-Licensed commercial hauler. Safely operates a heavy-duty truck to perform assigned duties on commercial routes.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Operates truck safely in heavy traffic and other congested areas.
- Maintains a safe distance between other vehicles and always checks clearance before moving truck.
- Completes daily safety checks and routine cleaning of equipment (i.e., windows, mirrors, etc.).
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections.
- Performs minor maintenance including, but not limited to, checking and adding fluids, checking tires and safety mechanisms, and performs other maintenance as it relates to vehicle inspection or safe operation.
- Reports all maintenance problems to supervisor and/or other company official.
- Reports all accidents, illnesses, and injuries regardless of how minor they may appear to supervisor or dispatcher immediately.
- Reports all unsafe conditions or hazards, such as low wires, heavy traffic, narrow pathways to supervisor immediately.
- Reports all traffic violations to supervisor immediately.
- Operates hydraulic loading mechanisms on truck.
- Loads, unloads and transports Non-Hazardous / Hazardous material in a safe and efficient manner.
- Packages, labels and manifests RCRA materials as required at sites that do not have individual(s) responsible for this duty.
- Ensures that load is secure prior to transport.
- Takes the shortest and most direct legal truck route to and from assigned work area.
- Does not make any unauthorized stops.
- Wears personal protective equipment (i.e., seat belts, gloves, work boots, safety glasses, etc.).
- Must possess the ability to wear a respirator where certain hazardous conditions are present.
- Communicates and interacts with customers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Reviews, signs and maintains appropriate copies of all tickets, trip sheets, shipment records and driver or vehicle maintenance logs.
- Attentive to DOT Hours of Service rules.
- Responds to emergencies that are within the scope of training.
- Cooperates with supervisor, co-workers, and works as a team member.
- Reference site-specific procedures and more detailed site-specific job description.
- Occasionally works alone when operating truck. In-depth knowledge of DOT rules and regulations required to efficiently perform work tasks. Skills in operating various equipment required to safely perform job. Must be able to manage time effectively to achieve goals and service customers.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: None required.
- Experience: Three (3) years of experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL or equivalent military driving within the last 7 years.
- Hold a current Class A or B Commercial Driver's License with an air-brake endorsement and a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME).
- Must hold current certification in OSHA's Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard (HAZWOPER) Training 40-hour Course.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Successfully complete pre-employment DOT drug screen, physical, and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review.
- Pre-assignment and/or pre-hire customer-specific drug and/or alcohol testing may be required by certain customer-contract requirements. Such testing may include urinalysis, drug hair follicle testing and/or alcohol testing
Listed below are key points regarding the physical requirements, and work environment of the job. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with arm, hand, finger, and leg dexterity.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than _ pounds frequently.
- Requires pushing, pulling, bending, twisting and lifting up to _ lbs.
- Normal setting for this job is outdoors and/or driving a video/GPS monitored vehicle.
- Will be exposed to a physical environment, which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.
- Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site and in some cases, be greater or lesser than documented here.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Apply on company website