Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
The Digital Strategy Director will work directly with the Vice President of Digital Strategy & Impact to continuously develop the business's digital strategy, evaluate investment opportunities, and quantify impact. This individual will oversee a team that constructs, manages, and measures the performance of the Digital portfolio with the goal of achieving sustainable success for the business.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other ancillary duties may be assigned.
- Play a role in evaluating Waste Management's strategic direction by closely monitoring ongoing industry developments and the broader investment landscape presenting relevant insights with actionable recommendations to leadership
- Develops strong relationships and partnerships with leaders throughout the business to facilitate collaboration/coordination between Digital and other parts of the organization
- Maintains continuous alignment with key stakeholders ensuring that the value is quantified and clearly outlined in the analysis
- Identifies, evaluates, and forms business cases for innovation and investment opportunities aligned with the digital and overall strategy of the company
- Oversees the construction and management of the digital portfolio from opportunity identification and prioritization to impact sizing and tracking
- Collaborates with various key stakeholders (Digital & Technology, Corporate Strategy & Development, and line of business leadership) and external (VCs, start-ups, incubators, etc.) to confirm key risks and opportunities for future analysis purposes
- Leads structured deal review process as well as documentation creation in order to present build/buy, partner recommendations
- Leverage decision frameworks and perform data-driven analyses to evaluate emerging technology partnership opportunities
- Creates best practice pilot and integration methodologies to improve effectiveness of go-to-market strategies for investment opportunities
- Leads the team to deliver upon ad-hoc requests and projects as needed
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
- The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is management through one or more managerial levels. This includes both direct and indirect supervision of full-time employees including management and individual contributor positions.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.A. Education and Experience
Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant experience.
Experience: Ten years previous experience in consulting, strategy or operations (in addition to education requirement)B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Experience managing high performing, distributed teams across the globe
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Honed relationship-building and influencing skills with an ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Demonstrated people leadership: track record of developing high performing teams
- Sophisticated executive demeanor, comfortable interacting with C-suite
- Stakeholder alignment
- Demonstrated ability to solve a wide range of conceptual and analytical problems
- Experience with startups, VCs, and incubators to develop partnerships and making investments
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills with an emphasis on being detail-oriented, proactive, and self-motivated
- Understanding of technology and its ability to address business challenges or create new business models
- Ability to balance long-term strategic value with short-term business needs and contribute to end-to-end build, buy, partner processes
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated ability to perform a deep analysis and articulate information concisely and precisely to various types of audiences
- Ability to work in ambiguous situations to translate ideas into actionable recommendations under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment Ability to act like an investor bringing an entrepreneurial mindset and boundless energy and optimism
- High degree of self-confidence, honesty and personal integrity
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
- Must be available to work standard business hours, as well as be available to work non-standard hours in case of emergency (natural disasters, power outages, etc.) May need to attend afterhours calls with the offshore team.
Apply on company website