A laboratory in the Department of Pathology, Microbiology & Immunology seeks a curious, motivated and diligent Research Assistant I to work on patient-based immunology projects. The lab seeks to understand genetic drivers of immunological diseases by identifying rare gene variants in affected children and studying how they impact the immune system.
- BSc in microbiology/immunology, biochemistry, genetics, cell biology or similar area
- attention to detail
- strong communication skills
- willingness to learn a variety of techniques at the bench
Not required, but ideal candidates will:
- have experience with some of the following techniques: DNA extraction, PCR, cloning, sterile cell culture, flow cytometry, western blotting, ELISA, fluorescent or confocal microscopy.
- commit to a minimum of 2 years of full-time employment. Those who wish to pursue medical school or a PhD in the long term are welcome.
We offer a dynamic and collaborative research environment, have opportunities for authorship and presentation of your work, and support diversity in science. You will receive lots of mentorship and will gain skills applicable across many fields of science and medicine.
- Under supervision, run experiments, assays, and record results
- Read and follow experimental protocols (May include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
- Compile and communicate results to supervisor
- Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogenics)
- Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
- Prepare and operate equipment in experimental procedures
- May include blood gas analyzer, centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter, electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, etc.
- Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
- Ensure Laboratory is prepared for experiments
- Maintain inventories,
- Maintain sterile conditions as required
- Prepare reagents
- Clean equipment.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year experience
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
- Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
- Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
- Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
- Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
- Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
- Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
- Occasional: Crawling:Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
- Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
- Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Occasional: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
- Occasional: Noise: May include exposure to occupational noise levels which equal or exceed an 8-hr time-weighted average of 85 decibels, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Hearing Conservation Program which includes training, use of hearing protection, and periodic audiometry.
- Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
- Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
- Occasional: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other contagious illnesses.
- Occasional: Radiation: May be exposed to occupational radiation, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Radiation Safety Program which includes training, use of personal protective equipment with lead shielding, and personal dose monitoring.
- Occasional: Climate: Ability to withstand exposure to atmospheric extremes including heat, cold, humidity, and barometric pressure changes.
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
Apply on company website