Special Assignment ATG Systems Development Engineer
We're the obstacle overcomers. The problem get-arounders. From figuring it out to getting it done… our innovative culture demands “yes and how!” We are UPS. We are the United Problem Solvers. Our ATG Systems Engineers design and deploy infrastructure to the highest standards. They are highly determined individuals who serve as subject matter experts, supporting automation tools and solutions to increase organizational efficiency. As an Advanced Technology Systems Development Engineer, your skills will be put to the test working with large-scale project solutions, helping to lead innovation at UPS.
The ATG Systems Development Engineer performs strategic planning, diagnoses risk and system issues, and takes corrective actions to ensure continuity of operations. This position performs disaster recovery tests and is responsible for compliance to UPS' information security model. He/She identifies and implements technologies and processes to improve the reliability, efficiency, and availability of the systems environment. This position is responsible for duties of high risk, severe impact, high complexity, and/or large scope. The ATG Systems Development Engineer works within the software development team to provide the tools and knowledge required for further development.
Among the immediate needs are the design and development of system software and tools to enable a data acquisition solution for visibility. This effort requires the ability to develop and test system software, working with vendor technical staff. In addition, the individual will design and develop rapid prototype applications and develop system software utilities. Candidate will need to design and implement embedded OS configurations (Android, Linux, Windows) across multiple target devices and appliances. Excellent communication skills and vendor integration experience needs to be coupled with the requisite technical skills.
The ATG Systems Development Engineer is responsible for efforts at multiple UPS buildings for the Smart Package/Smart Facility program. The individual will apply rapid prototype principles to prove feasibility for proof of technology and proof of concept solutions. Use cases include pickup and delivery, outbound scanning, primary, secondary, pickoff, preload, driver selection, SPA, mobile SPA, asset tracking and building visibility.
In support of these efforts, the candidate performs within the software development team – embedded/device work, vendor controller interfaces, unit testing, integration and system performance optimization, interface specification development; develops, executes and reports on test plans;
In addition, the ability to integrate and develop test automation solutions in the areas of industrial automation, robotics, drones and autonomous vehicles will be needed as the team looks to leverage these technologies. He/She must apply technical breadth in areas including mobile/industrial devices; mobile operating systems; wireless technologies including but not limited to cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, LoRa, and RFID communications; signal processing; IoT devices; printing; scanning.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs research, evaluates, designs, develops, and tests solutions in support of UPS operations through the entire life cycle
- Performs efforts on third-party infrastructures, applications, and appliances
- Performs strategic planning, diagnoses risk and system issues, and takes corrective actions to ensure continuity of operations
- Performs disaster recovery tests and is responsible for compliance to UPS' information security model
- Designs and develops rapid prototype applications and develops system software utilities
Knowledge and Skills
- Advanced knowledge and experience in all aspects of Software Development Lifecycle
- Technical expertise in the following:
- C# .NET, Xamarin, Java, SQL
- 802.11.X, BLE, LORA, RFID, Cellular, Infrared
- Client Server Architecture, Visual Studio
- Industrial Mobile Devices, Printers, Data Acquisition Devices, IOT Sensors
- Control System Development and Integration
- 5 years+ of UPS operations knowledge
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent - Preferred
This position offers an exceptional opportunity to work for a Fortune 50 industry leader. If you are selected, you will join our dynamic technology team in making a difference to our business and customers. Do you think you have what it takes? Prove it! At UPS, ambition knows no time zone.
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law
Apply on company website