This position qualifies for a $5,000 sign-on bonus!!
- Provides routine patient care and supports the department services in accordance with established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the nurse or physician to assure that the highest degree of quality patient care can be maintained at all times.
- Completes advanced patient care duties after successfully completing training and annual competencies.
- Must routinely perform the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O, specimen collections and Foley care) AND has the employee successfully completed basic arrhythmia class AND performs at least 4 of the following hospital identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder scan, straight catheter, IV catheter removal, femoral hemostasis, or IV insertion.
- 1. Suggests and supports changes within the department.
- 2. Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges.
- 3. Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department.
- 4. Supports department based projects and quality initiatives.
- 1. Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team.
- 2. Demonstrate understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions.
- 3. Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace.
- 4. Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues.
- 1. Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department.
- 2. Establishes appropriate and effective communication with other departments.
- 3. Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships.
- 4. Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting patients.
- 1. Performs the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O, specimen collections and Foley care) AND has the employee successfully completed Basic arrhythmia class AND does the employee perform at least 4 of the following hospital identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder scan, straight catheter, IV catheter removal, femoral hemostasis, or IV insertion.
- 2. Provides patient care including assisting with patient procedures and activities of daily living.
- 3. Assists with physical, respiratory and cardiopulmonary therapies. Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status.
- 4. Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN. May apply, monitor and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- 5. Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to patient care and hospital related information.
- 6. Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions. Documents in the medical record according to established procedures.
- 7. Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner.
- 8. Transports cardiac monitored patients within the hospital setting.
- 9. May insert foley catheters and perform straight catheterization as instructed by RN.
- 10. May perform IV insertion, removal and dressing change.
- 11. Completes department clerical functions as needed.
- 1. Constructively receives feedback and direction.
- 2. Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director.
- 3. Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance.
- 4. Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed.
- 5. Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director.
- 6. Participates in project and committee work.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- If no previous hospital or pre-hospital training, successful completion of UPMC patient care technician class OR successful completion of first year of clinical work in a nursing program.
- Successful completion of basic information system training.
- Microcomputer experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Nursing Student that has completed one clinical rotation preferred
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred.
- Successful completion of a basic arrhythmia course and annual competency required
- May in the course of their duties be in rooms where medications are stored or may transport medications when they transport patients.
- Transportation of medication is limited from one department to another.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire.
- ACLS preferred. Certified Nursing Assistant required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMC's Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life — because we believe that you're at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.Our Values
At UPMC, we're driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.
Apply on company website