This position works under limited supervision to complete assigned tasks/projects demonstrating an ability to work independently. This position performs waived, moderate and high complexity testing. Performs and evaluates test results and quality control procedures. Performs instrument preventative maintenance, calibration and troubleshooting. Interprets basic microscopic examinations. May be cross trained in more than one area of the laboratory. Adheres to all applicable regulatory and accreditation quality standards.
Evaluate human semen, testis and spermatozoa using standardized clinical laboratory techniques. Perform semen analysis, sperm cryopreservation, insemination preparation, testicular sperm retrieval and sperm function analysis techniques. Attention to detail and excellent hand-eye coordination are critical requirements. Overall direction will be supplied by the Lab Director in routine meetings. May oversee day-to-day routine duties of lower level and student employees, assuring that all safety regulations are followed. May perform other related duties as assigned.
B.S./B.A. in Biology, Zoology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Animal Science or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS).
Must have a current Clinical Laboratory Scientist or appropriate sub-specialty license issued by the State of California, Department of Public Health.
A minimum of five (5+) years of experience of applicable clinical laboratory experience.
Required to participate in the Occupational Health Program.
Required to attend, participate and pass (where required) the University of California San Diego's training courses in Bloodborne Pathogens, Chemical Hazards and additional courses as required for successful completion of job duties.
- At least two (2) years of experience working in a sperm bank or andrology laboratory with knowledge of aseptic technique, semen analysis, sperm preparation and cryopreservation.
- Demonstrated experience in phase contrast microscopy.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs. Responsibilities are task oriented therefore some weekend and evening work will be required.
- May have possible exposure to biological, chemical, and radioactive hazards.
- Must be willing to work with human body fluids and biohazards, including, but not limited to, human blood, semen and testis.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Apply on company website