Be a part of a world-class academic health-care system at UChicago Medicine as a Vascular Technologist in the Vascular Surgery Department on our main Hyde Park campus.
Sign on bonus up to $5,000
Under general direction, the Vascular Technologist supports the Manager in planning, organizing and directing all activities relating to patient care within the Imaging Center. The Vascular Technologist assesses patients for pathology in all the veins and arteries of the body other than the heart, and certain visceral vessels. The Vascular Technologist conducts exams using Doppler, duplex imaging and plethysmography, together with a history and physical to assess patients for a variety of vascular pathologies.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs the following examinations on patients as schedule demands either in the Lab or at their bedside according to approved vascular laboratory procedures under general supervision; Venous Duplex (assessment for deep vein thrombosis, venous insufficiency and vein mapping), Arterial segmental pressures, continuous wave Doppler waveforms arterial duplex scan, PPG measurements, graft surveillance and arterial mapping, Extracranial and IntraCranial Carotid and vertebral artery duplex and Abdominal duplex to assess bypass grafts, stents, AAA, mesenteric, aortoiliac and renal artery stenosis/occlusion.
- Assesses appropriateness of exam(s) ordered and is capable of modifying said exam based on an assessment of the patient's history, physical exam and symptoms; within the guidelines set by the Vascular Laboratory Medical Director.
- Prepares preliminary reports after completing exam(s) and contacts the referring physician according to laboratory protocol set by the Vascular Laboratory Medical Director.
- Participates in the on-call rotation for Venous Duplex exams during nights/weekends as directed by the Imaging Center Leader or Manager.
- Assists triage of after-hours requests from the ordering providers regarding urgent exams and follows escalation processes.
- Participates in the didactic and hands on training of students in vascular technology, techniques and interpretation. Students include, but are not limited to, Rush Vascular Ultrasound program interns, clinical vascular nurse/fellow trainee technologists, Radiology and Vascular surgery fellows, Radiology and Surgery residents, medical students, visiting physicians and visiting technologists as directed by the Technical Imaging Coordinator or Vascular Technologist III.
- Performs administrative and other duties as assigned including, but not limited to; scheduling of patients, maintaining QA logs and databases, monitoring and replenishing supply inventory.
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Completion of a two year allied health education program that is patient-care related plus 12 months of full-time clinical ultrasound/vascular experience, OR
- Graduate of a program accredited by an agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), U.S. Department of Education (USDOE), or Canadian Medical Association (CMA), that specifically conducts programmatic accreditation for diagnostic medical sonography/diagnostic cardiac sonography/vascular sonography, OR
- Bachelor's degree (any major) or foreign degree equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in the U.S. plus 12 months of full-time clinical ultrasound/vascular experience, OR
- Bachelor's degree in Sonography or Vascular Technology or foreign degree equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in the U.S. in fields such as biology, nursing, sonography, or vascular technology
Preferred minimum experience:
- Preferred 2-3 years of full time clinical experience as a Vascular Tech in another healthcare environment.
- Preferred credentialing: Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) or Registered Vascular Specialist (RVS)
- No credentialing required, but incumbents holding Vascular Tech II title are eligible to take credentialing exams and will be encouraged to become credentialed within 24 months of the date of hire
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time (1.0) ; 8-10hr shfits
- Shift: Days 8:00am-6:30pm
- Unit/Department: Vascular Lab
- CBA Code: non union
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website