Join UChicago Medicine, as a Sterile Processing Technician II in the Sterile Processing Department.
In this role as a Sterile Processing Technician II, you will be responsible for preparing OR surgical case carts, decontamination, assembly and sterilization of reprocessable supplies, equipment and surgical instruments. In this role, you will be responsible to know all modalities of sterilization as well as monitoring of the sterilization process. Our staffing plan requires CSP personnel to work between all processing areas as well as rotate to all shifts and work holidays and weekends. You will work with instrument management systems and other related technology.
Essential Job Functions
Follows proper procedure to clean and decontaminate instruments, trays, supplies, and equipment received from patient care areas. Reports any unsafe conditions, defective or missing instruments and/or equipment immediately to the supervisor or designee and removes such item(s) from processing or returning to service. Properly operates cleaning and sterilization equipment, such as, cart washers, sonic cleaners, washers, sterilizers, and heat-sealing.
- Demonstrates proper knowledge and understanding of all chemicals, detergents, and other cleaning and/or disinfecting agents used in the department.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and skill in assembly of trays and peel packs, to include identification of contents, internal chemical indicators, lot control numbers, wrapping, labeling and methods of sterilization. Monitors and documents according to procedure all required information for each sterilization load and sterilizer.
- Required to participate in the department Quality Improvement Plan, as needed. Appropriately handles all sterilized items when placing them in storage and identify any breaks in the integrity of the package. Re-stocks shelves in Sterile Storage and other areas to maintain defined PAR levels of all supplies, instrument trays, and other items maintained in inventory.
- Transports clean and soiled case carts between the operating rooms and Sterile Processing. Transports additional instrumentation as needed between Peri-operative
Services and CSP areas. Maintains cleanliness and appropriate supply levels at workstations in all areas of department.
- Follows organizational wide and unit specific safety, security and infection control standards.
- Must successfully complete National or International Certification as Sterile Processing Technician (with 18 months of employment). After certification is obtained, independently maintain certification credentials through continuing educational credits or recertification testing.
- Participates in required education programs, orientation and training courses to maintain competency in job skills, knowledge and equipment through such things as in-services, etc.
- Respects the rights, privacy and property of others at all times, including confidential information of patients, according to administrative policies and applicable laws and regulations.
- High School graduate or equivalent required
- Must have knowledge of hospital equipment, supplies, surgical instrumentation, and medical terminology
- Must be able to appropriately and effectively react to requests for emergency supplies
- Must be a clear communicator both verbally and write
- One year of working in Central Sterile Processing, preferred
- Knowledge of hospital equipment, supplies, surgical instrumentation, and medical terminology is desired
- Basic computer skills highly desired
- Sterile Processing Certification required (CRCST or CSPDT) within 18 months of employment
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time
- Shift: Evening, 3pm-11pm
- Unit/Department: 377706, SPD- Mitchell
- CBA Code: 743 Clerical
- Click here to learn more about UChicago Medicine
- Click here to learn more about our benefits
- Click here to explore other career opportunities at UChicago Medicine
Apply on company website