Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, University of Chicago Medicine, in the role of Staff Pharmacist-Clinical in our Inpatient Pharmacy. This opportunity allows for growth and collaboration, while supporting a team that is dedicated to enhancing lives and being on the forefront of all we do.
Staff Pharmacist- Clinical are registered pharmacists who assume responsibility and accountability for the provision of safe, effective, and prompt medication therapy. Through various assignments within the department, they provide support of centralized and decentralized medication-use systems as well as deliver optimal medication therapy to patients with a broad range of disease states. Clinical Pharmacists adeptly function in pharmacy operational areas, including but not limited to central dispensing pharmacies, satellite dispensing pharmacies, and specialty pharmacy areas.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of all medication orders by evaluating drug selection, dose, frequency, safety, dosage form, allergies, drug interactions, and disease state interactions prior to dispensing of medications.
- Supervises pharmacy technicians working under their direction to provide the following and assure the completion of:*
- Preparation of first and missing doses
- Order Entry
- Delivery of STAT medications as necessary
- IV Therapy coordination
- Replacement of CPR car as needed to nursing unitNursing unit inspections, checking for expired medications, refrigerator checks, hood cleaning, and other responsibilities as defined.
- Ensure proper drug utilization by monitoring compliance with drug use criteria, clinical pathways, and IV to PO conversion
- Document clinical interventions which prevent or eliminate drug-related problems (i.e. Adverse drug reactions, drug interactions, etc.) or promote cost-effective drug therapy.
- Clarify and solve problems concerning medication orders with prescribing physicians, suggest alternative medication therapies to physicians when appropriate, serve as a source of information for Investigational drug information for health professionals, identify and report adverse drug reactions.
- Assist in the orientation and training of new personnel.
- Participate in ambulatory pharmacy dispensing activities as required. Perform dispensing, counseling, and clinical services in the outpatient setting as their practice site.
Staff Pharmacist Education and Experience Requirements:
- Graduate of an ACPE accredited College of Pharmacy.
- Doctor of Pharmacy or other advanced degree highly preferred.
- Eligible for licensure as a pharmacist in the state of Illinois (complete licensure process within 60 days of employment).
- ASHP accredited PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency required.
- Board Certification in area of expertise is preferred.
- Completion of an ASHP accredited PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency required.
- Clinical pharmacy experience (2-4 years) in a hospital setting preferred (required if no PGY-1 residency).
- Exceptional aptitude or knowledge may be considered in lieu of experience. Extensive clinical experience and development may be considered in lieu of formal training
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time (1.0)
- Shift: Rotate
- Unit/Department: Inpatient Pharmacy
- CBA Code: Non-Union
- In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 40 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work the rotating shift with the hours of 07:00a-3:30p; 08:00a-4:30, or 2:30p-10:00p and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We anticipate you will be scheduled to work 100% at the Hyde Park campus. The days of the week that you are scheduled will be Sunday-Saturday, but we anticipate that you will be scheduled to work every 3rd weekend.
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website