Join UChicago Medicine, as a Special Procedures Nurse in the Prep and Recovery Room.
As a Special Procedures Nurse, and under the direction of an Attending Physician or a licensed independent practitioner, you will provide technically complex and high risk nursing care services to patients which may include one or more of the following categories: sedation, intravenous infusions, complex procedures, e.g., lumbar puncture, cardiac catheterization.This role may also include specialized monitoring during the procedure and recovery phases. You may have Charge Nurse responsibility for your assigned unit.
Essential Job Functions
- Computer proficiency: familiarity with UCMC Information Systems preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to handle a wide variety of public contacts, including conflict resolution and communicating both verbally and in writing with discretion and courtesy with patients, families and co-workers.
- Requires the knowledge & ability to administer minimal and moderate sedation as prescribed and directed by the attending or licensed independent practitioner.
- May require extensive familiarity with hematologic and oncologic diseases, chemotherapy drugs and treatment protocols.
- Follows UCMC sedation policy to monitor and recover sedated patients.
- Maintains critical care competencies not limited to: management of artificial airways, including endotracheal tubes and tracheostomy tubes, hemodynamic stability, and thermoregulation for critically ill patients.
- Brings excellent organizational skills as demonstrated by: abilities to prioritize and work independently with a high degree of initiative, flexibility, problem solving and adaptability to an ever changing work environment.
- Demonstrates ability to work under pressure, exercise good judgment and assume responsibility in a stressful work environment.
- Ability and willingness to cooperate with multidisciplinary team to fulfill patient/family needs.
- Identifies issues, presents strategies and acts as a change agent to resolve unit and patient care issues.
- Accepts responsibility for learning as part of the development of their own professional practice.
- RN Required; Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Minimum of 2 years ICU experience required
- One additional certification in area specialty
Required License and Certifications
- Currently licensed as a registered professional nurse in the State of Illinois
- Current CPR required
- Current ACLS and PALS certifications are both required
- If you do not hold either the ACLS or PALS at time of hire, you are allowed six (6) months from your hire date to obtain the missing certification.
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time
- Shift: Day, 8:30am-7pm
- Unit/Department: Mitchell Radiology Nursing
- CBA Code: NNU
- Click here to learn more about UChicago Medicine
- Click here to learn more about our benefits
- Click here to explore other career opportunities at UChicago Medicine
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website