Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine, in a detail-driven and influential role as a Respiratory Therapist - Registry with our Respiratory Care Services team. The Respiratory Care Services Department is committed to providing quality individualized care for adult, pediatric and neonatal patients through the employment of highly trained (RRT) Registered Respiratory Therapists, advanced technology, and defined patient protocols. Our employees deliver world-class care in an environment where opinions are respected, decision-making is rewarded, and teamwork is the order of the day. Our staff are encouraged to achieve their career goals, which in turn benefits all our patients and the University of Chicago Medicine as a whole.
In this role, the Respiratory Therapist administers respiratory care treatments, procedures, and protocols under the direct supervision of department leadership and physician. Provides for patient assessment to determine cardiopulmonary status, implement appropriate patient care protocols, or to maintain/improve cardiopulmonary hemodynamic status. Initiates and maintains emergent and non-emergent non-invasive ventilation and invasive mechanical ventilation per department policies and protocols.
Essential Job Functions:
- Administers supplemental oxygen/medical gas therapy; as prescribed by direct physician order or via established and approved departmental patient care protocols; documents such procedures appropriately and accurately into the EPIC electronic medical record.
- Administers intermittent (Small Volume Nebulizer, MDI, etc.) or Continuous Medication delivery therapy (bronchodilators, steroid therapy, mucolytics, etc.) as prescribed or via established and approved department protocols. Documents such procedures into the EPIC electronic medical record appropriately and accurately, in real-time fashion. Properly assesses the patient during administration of such modalities.
- Administers bronchopulmonary hygiene, suctioning, & airway care procedures. Implements airway clearance techniques (to include Chest Physiotherapy, coughing/deep breathing techniques, Therapy Vest, Flutter valve, ExPap device, Acapella device, & incentive spirometry) per physician order or under the guidelines of established and approved departmental patient care protocols. Documents such procedures into the EPIC electronic medical record appropriately and accurately per hospital policy.
- Initiates and maintains non-invasive ventilation (NIV) procedures (BIPAP, CPAP, High Flow Cannula) on an emergent and non-emergent basis; assess patient status and the status of NIV equipment and patient tolerance of such. Implements necessary adjustments to assure best level of patient comfort and tolerance to achieve most effective benefit of therapy. Documents procedures into the EPIC system as required.
- Initiates, maintains, and assesses status (per department policy) of mechanical ventilation; provides for a thorough and complete patient assessment to recommend and implement weaning plans from mechanical ventilation either per physician order or under the guidelines of pre-approved and established departmental mechanical ventilator protocols. Documents such procedures accurately and in timely fashion into the EPIC electronic medical record.
- Provides for ventilator management (NIV and mechanical ventilation); appropriate hemodynamic monitoring/reporting of patient parameters (ventilator weaning parameters, spontaneous breathing trials, etc.). Documents information accurately and timely within the EPIC electronic medical record.
- Performs Arterial Blood Gas analysis per hospital, department, and accrediting agency guidelines and standards of practice. Trouble shoots ABG analyzers; performs appropriate quality control and general calibration procedures as appropriate. Reports results accurately and timely, within established results turnaround reporting guidelines.
- Provides for patient transport internally and/or externally when patients are transported to other areas on oxygen delivery systems, mechanical ventilators, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- An Associate's degree from an approved & accredited Respiratory Care Program
- An active certification as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) from the National Board for Respiratory Care
- Note: Certification as a Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) can be accepted, but the RRT must be obtained within 180 days of hire
- A current Respiratory Care Practitioner license in the State of Illinois or eligibility to obtain said license prior to start
- An active Basic Life Support certification from the American Heart Association
- Demonstrates effective & accurate communication and documentation skills (both verbal and written communications)
- A Bachelor's degree or higher from an approved & accredited Respiratory Care Program
- A Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification; Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification; Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification depending upon the patient care area assigned and the primary patient population served
- Job Type/FTE: PRN (0.1 FTE)
- Shift: Rotating shift – 12-hours
- Unit/Department: Respiratory Care Services
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website