Join UChicago Medicine, as an Organ Procurement Coordinator in our Transplant Program.
Sign-On Bonus Eligible!
In this role, the Organ Procurement Coordinator participates in organ procurement proceedings and preservation system supporting the section of Transplant team and working with other organ procurement organizations in identification and referral of donors and organs while recognizing, diagnosing and consistently recommending improvement for the in-hospital standard donation protocol.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides call coverage to attend to organ procurements
- Receives, evaluates, and records calls / donor information from organ procurement agencies, potential organ or tissue donors.
- Serves as liaison between attending physician, surgeons, team and OPO, donor coordinator, and accurately communicates pertinent information.
- Secures transportation for the procurement team.
- Coordinates all aspects of the donor operation, which includes operating room and preservation of the cadaveric organ being harvested.
- Monitors preservation systems
- Coordinates and communicates with all members of the transplant team
- Travel with and assist in during organ and tissue removal / procurement, preservation and preparation of organs for transplant /implantation.
- When not on a procurement trip, the incumbent will participate in transplant clinics, patient rounds, patient meetings, and support groups.
- Orders, maintains and ensures necessary supplies are available at all times.
- Retains donor documentation and participates in clinical research studies.
- Maintains and updates the appropriate United Network for Organ Sharing candidate lists.
- Performs other duties as requested by senior management.
- Associate's Degree or equivalent certification (i.e., paramedic, surgical certification)
- Requires a minimum of two years, demonstrated competence as an organ procurement coordinator
- Requires a minimum of one year, demonstrated competence with organ procurement proceedings and previous experience in procurement /preservation of
- organs / tissue for transplant
- Requires competence using computers and computer software esp. UNOS or other donor data organ procurement tracking systems
- Requires demonstrated effective communication skills
- Requires ability to function well and often – under pressure and in circumstances, and strategies as a member of multidisciplinary donation teams
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time
- Shift: Rotating
- Unit/Department: Transplant
- CBA Code: Non-Union
- Click here to learn more about UChicago Medicine
- Click here to learn more about our benefits
- Click here to explore other career opportunities at UChicago Medicine
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website