Join a world-class academic healthcare system, University of Chicago Medicine, as a Pre Analytical Technician, also known as, Lab Processing Technician, on the Outpatient Phlebotomy team. The pre-analytical technician performs phlebotomy for inpatient services, prepares specimens for testing in clinical labs or shipment to reference lab, and communicates with staff to resolve problems and provide information. Works collaboratively with colleagues, participates in process improvement projects. Located in Historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is a not-for-profit integrated and academic health system of hospital and physician services, providing world class care since 1927.
This position is responsible for the provision of specimen receipt, assessment, and pre-analytical processing services, includes aspects of quality assurance for the area, including verification of missing information and activating a specimen rejection process as per written policies and procedures. May include performance of waived or moderately complex testing and urgent value reporting, includes receiving specimens and requisitions for test ordering, entering orders into laboratory computer system (Sunquest), verifying/reviewing orders, generating appropriate specimen collection labels, directing samples to appropriate laboratory sections, and responding to telephone inquiries for test results and other information such as specimen collection requirements. This position also provides venipuncture collection services for Inpatient Phlebotomy or Phlebotomy Services (DCAM-Outpatient), microbiology specimen set-up (i.e. plating), and/or other types of advanced pre-analytical specimen processing services.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for specimen integrity by following appropriate transport procedures, shipping, and packaging procedures in the case of specimens being sent out for testing.
- Assesses specimen integrity/quality, requisition, and specimen labeling requirements as mandated by policies and procedures.
- Answers inquiries regarding specimen handling, test results, turnaround times, and specimen collection.
- Contacts patient care units and other points of specimen origination to investigate and reject samples if appropriate.
- Documents and performs all required maintenance procedures, continuing education, rejected specimens, quality improvement monitors, and annual compliance modules as scheduled.
- Performs phlebotomy services Inpatient Phlebotomy and Phlebotomy Services Department (DCAM)
- Performs microbiology set-ups and/or other advanced pre-analytical specimen processing services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must satisfy CLIA 88 qualification requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Appropriate training/experience in clinical laboratory science required.
- Knowledge and ability to safely use laboratory and hospital information systems.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to use automated/conventional laboratory equipment.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with colleagues and other healthcare workers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required.
- Appropriate training/experience in performing venipunctures.
- MLT (ASCP) certification/eligibility preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Associates Degree preferred
- Job Type/FTE: Full Time
- Shift: Evenings
- Unit/Department: Phlebotomy
- CBA Code: Non-Union
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 40 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work the Night Shfit, from approximately 2p-10:30p and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We anticipate you will be scheduled to work 100% at the Hyde Park campus. The days of the week that you are scheduled will vary depending on the week, but we anticipate that you will be scheduled to work on rotating weekends and holidays.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website