Join the University of Chicago Medicine as an Advanced Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) on the Surgical Intensive Care Unit.
Sign-On Bonus Eligible.
In this role, you will provide direct primary health care to patients, in collaboration with consulting physician and the multidisciplinary health team in accordance with privileges approved by the credentials committee, to include identification, management, and/or referral of health problems. Conduct comprehensive or episodic health assessments and develop patient care plans within clinical nursing practice and medical care protocols. Take patient histories, conduct physical examinations, and record the date in the patient's record; screen patients to determine the need for hospital admission, making referrals to other disciplines as indicated, write progress notes; prepare patient workups and summaries noting pertinent positive and negative findings; obtain psychosocial history relevant to patient care, and assume responsibility for developing therapeutic relationships with patients. Order and schedule laboratory studies and diagnostic procedures; explain necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient. Evaluate outcomes of care delivered to patients and initiates changes in the nursing approach accordingly. Participate in development of collaborative practice arrangements. Assume accountability for patient care in making decisions, prescribing appropriate medications as set forth in the delegation of prescriptive authority, prescribing appropriate treatments, delegating tasks, and maintaining a comfortable environment for the patient. Collaborate with and act as liaison among the nurse, patient, family, physician, and community resources for coordination of patient care. Select appropriate communications approach to achieve desired outcomes of patient care. Actively pursue required knowledge and skills for professional development. Identify and participate in quality assurance issues on the unit. May participate in health education in the community. In this role, the APP will also rotate through the procedure service performing Lumbar punctures, PICC line placement, Paracentesis, and Thoracentesis. May participate in basic science and clinical research projects conducted by supervising physician. May prepare statistical reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions. Act as a resource for clinical skills to staff on or off the unit. May participate in teaching students and residents in techniques and procedures which are unique to specific clinical setting. Practice specific and invasive procedure privileges are detailed in each APNs Delineation of Privileges.
The Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care has a proud and long tradition of excellence in research-based patient care and clinical discovery.
- Demonstrated clinical competency, effective leadership and teaching skills required
- Ability to conduct physical examinations and health assessments required
- Ability to interview and obtain medical information required
- Willingness to enter into written collaborative agreement with a collaborating physician upon hire required
- Once licensed and as needed, willingness to apply for a mid-level practitioner-controlled substance license and DEA number required
- Willingness to be privileged and credentialed through UCMC Medical Staff Office prior to start date required
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently required
- Strong organizational skills required
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical skill required
- Proficiency in the use of computers preferred
Nurse Practitioner Job Summary:
The Nurse Practitioner is an advance practice nurse responsible for comprehensive direct patient care management. The Nurse Practitioner manages a caseload of patients and exercises autonomous decision making in the assessment, diagnosis, and initiation of delegated medical treatments. The scope of practice also includes family support, teaching, staff education, consultation, and research.
Advanced Practice Nurse: Provide comprehensive care to patients in the Medical Intensive Care Unit or inpatient units cared for by the Medical ICU service at the University of Chicago. Work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team, using advanced clinical skills to manage a caseload of patients. Assess, diagnose, initiate delegated medical treatments, perform independent nursing interventions, and evaluate care. Provide a model of care that is shaped by theory, expanded by science, research and reflective practice and is identified by a holistic and comprehensive approach to the patients.
Nurse Practitioner - Education and Experience Requirements:
- Advanced degree (or equivalent, if license received prior to July 1, 2001) from an accredited school/college of nursing required.
- Ability to obtain Illinois advanced practice nurse (APN) license by start date required.
- Current license as a Registered Nurse required.
- AANC certification as an ACNP and/or ANP-BC required.
- Minimum two years of critical care clinical nursing experience with demonstrated clinical competence in patient care, teaching and management of patients with critical illness, and knowledge about clinical aspects of critical care including protocol therapy preferred.
Physician Assistant Job Summary:
The Physician Assistant is qualified by academic and clinical education to provide healthcare and patient services that may include educational, research, clinical nursing specialist support and administrative activities under the direction and supervision of the Director/leadership. The PA has acquired the knowledge, skills and judgment necessary to assist the physician through organized instruction and supervised practice. This licensed health professional will take patient histories, conduct examinations, diagnose illnesses, pre- and post-operative patient evaluation, order and interpret laboratory tests and assist during complicated operations. The PA exercises autonomy in medical decision making and provides a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services.
Physician Assistant - Education and Experience Requirements:
- Education: Completion of an accredited (physician assistant) educational program required.
- Licensure: Certification in ACLS and by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) and current and/or eligibility for: State of Illinois licensure / registration required
- ICU Certification Required
- ICU experience highly preferred
- Job Type/FTE: FT (1.0)
- Shift: Rotating, Sun - Sat, 3 (12h) shifts weekly and 1 call shift weekly; every other weekend, every other major holiday
- Unit/Department: Surgical Intensive Care Unit
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website