Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we're the second largest domain wholesaler in the world with 25 million domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We're doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We're a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity: This position will be part of a fiber blowing and splicing team and will be reporting to the Fiber Construction Manager. This position will primarily be responsible to perform accurate locates of underground utilities within a requested work area. Other duties will include performing installation and maintenance of outside plant fiber network to include construction elements such as conduit, fiber, splice domes, cabinets, and some central office work. OSP Tech will share responsibility with local contractors for both safety and quality within the market.
What you'll be doing:
- Using GIS maps, observational skills, and locating equipment to accurately locate underground facilities
- Performing installation of our fiber network and maintenance dispatches, as needed, to deliver crazy-fast Gigabit Internet services to both residential and commercial customers
- Liaising with Fiber Construction Manager/OSP Technician Lead for any fiber restoration efforts.
- Ensuring all required materials for installation and maintenance are accurately checked out from Inventory
- Proactively and consistently review todays scheduled dispatches and assist where needed to maintain scheduled efficiency
- Participate in local marketing events as needed and on-call rotation
- Conduct site surveys as required with attending various meetings
- All other duties assigned by manager
- Experience locating underground utilities preferred
- Experience reading CAD and GIS files with construction experience preferred
- Telecommunications and/or Cable experience preferred
- Fiber optic experience preferred
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- Displays leadership skills
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks preferred but not required
- The ability to assess different installation scenarios, and effectively determine the required time, approach and equipment, will be required.
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather
- Comfortable with hand tools/power tools and test equipment
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
Apply on company website