When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
In a complex world of producing biologics-based therapeutics and vaccines, help us be a part of this story with our BioProduction team. With applications that span the drug development process—from drug discovery through large-scale commercial production—help us develop a broad range of products including single-use technologies as well as analytical instruments, cell culture labware and media, centrifugation, purification, and analytics for detection of process/product impurities and contaminants.
The Technical Writer role is part of the BioProduction Division which unites deep scientific expertise, a collaborative culture and rich resources to deliver the lab equipment and consumables that our customers need to achieve their scientific goals – quickly, reliably and safely. Our smart lab solutions make it faster and easier for our customers to focus on what matters most – delivering answers and innovations that save and improve lives. The position will reside in Logan, UT.
How will you make an impact?
This position is responsible for writing and maintaining technical documents (i.e. user manuals, on-line content, technical publications, service documentation, packaging, etc.) for new products and revisions to existing products. Gather information through interviews and research to produce content. Seek feedback on pre-release documentation as needed to ensure high quality, usability, and accuracy in released documentation. As needed, initiate the work for necessary graphics and ensure completion. Involvement in project planning in terms of determining tasks and estimates for creating and maintaining project schedules and user documentation requirements. Ensure the release of related customer and training documentation. Produce documentation in accordance with Thermo Fisher Scientific branding and design requirements. Maintain a proactive posture towards software re-usability and quality. Be involved in departmental and personal quality and training programs.
What will you do?
- Create user documentation for new products in accordance with product requirements, site product development process and engineering procedures.
- Prepare estimates and timelines for project tasks relating to user documentation.
- Gather appropriate content for user documentation through interviews and interaction with other project team members and domain experts.
- Produce draft documents or proofs, as needed.
- Specify illustrations and graphics as needed to better emphasize information or understand a concept. Responsible for ensuring the graphics are completed within the project timeline.
- Update existing documentation when needed for corrections, changes in company information, regulatory requirements, obsolescence, etc.
- Create internal and external training materials as assigned.
- Work with Purchasing as needed to support revenue and new product introductions.
- Utilize the site processes for releasing user documentation.
- Review software messages for clarity, consistency, and grammar.
- Manage documents that require translation, working with vendors to obtain quotes, provide information, files or documents to be translated, ensure the review process is completed according to schedule and enable the release of translated materials.
- Complete user materials in compliance with Thermo Fisher Scientific branding and design guidelines.
- Perform other duties as required within authorized compliance.
- Authority to determine grammatical and non-technical details in the writing and editing of manuals in accordance with the Thermo Fisher Scientific documentation guidelines.
- Propose product, procedure, and process improvements to departmental management.
- Propose new technologies, media, or tools for providing user information with Thermo Fisher Scientific products.
- Propose product supplier sources for equipment or material.
- Propose value engineering and productivity measures relating to any aspect of user documentation.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in a technical writing or related field
- Minimum of five years' experience in technical writing, a related field or the equivalent in related course work. Ability to produce technical illustrations may also be a requirement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with word processing tools such as MS Word or Adobe FrameMaker
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign
- Working knowledge of on-line Help authoring tools
- Ability to breakdown a large task/concept into smaller tasks/ideas
- Ability to work cooperatively in a project team environment
- Good computer skills
- Proficient with MS office programs
- Working knowledge of graphical design tools such as Photoshop or Illustrator desired
- Working knowledge of digital photography editing software desired
- Knowledge of printing process, methods desired
- Aptitude for or knowledge of scientific concepts, subjects, or instrumentation desired
- Knowledge of safety documentation requirements desired
- Proficient with Adobe Acrobat desired
- Understanding of cell biology, electro-mechanical equipment, and other aspects of operations within the pharmaceutical industry is desired
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website