Job Title: Safety Scientist, Thermal Laboratory
Location: Florence(East), South Carolina
Division: Pharma Services Group (PSG)
Our Florence, SC (East) site is a flexible drug substance manufacturing site offering highly potent compound handling, process development & scale-up. Large-scale and mid-scale Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) production. The site also has capabilities in solid state chemistry, spray drying, and micronization. The facility is fully compliant with all applicable regulations and meets the most stringent production, quality, cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices), safety and environmental standards.
What Will You Do?
- Reliably designs and executes thermal stability and reaction calorimetry studies in the process safety lab with independent judgement.
- Performs analytical methods, as needed, for complex testing on raw materials, reagents, intermediates, final API, and selected reaction mixtures and process streams.
- Makes detailed observations and analyzes, resolves issues, documents, and communicates test results
- Independently setup and run organic synthetic processes on laboratory scale, collecting representative and reproducible reaction calorimetry data on a Mettler RC1 calorimeter
- Run small-scale screening experiments on an Omnical SuperCRC.
- Independently collect thermal stability data for raw materials, intermediates, and final active pharmaceutical ingredients (API's)
- Setup, run, and maintain PAT instruments (IR/Raman/FBRM) to monitor and characterize processes, analyzing the generated data.
- Arrange and manage third-party dust-explosivity testing
- Interact with internal and external stakeholders to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services.
- Utilize technical knowledge, expertise and experience to resolve manufacturing related problems, complaints, and quality related issues.
- Drive continuous improvement in EH&S/Quality/Efficiency to improve right first time in all areas.
- Performs audits on equipment periodically to verify proper calibration and use.
- Records and reports results of analysis in accordance with prescribed lab procedures and systems.
- Coordinates and leads writing of SOPs, policy manuals, and other instructional documents.
- Maintain a clean and organized laboratory environment.
- Performs all duties in strict compliance with Standard Operating Procedures, Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Laboratory Practices, and Safety guidelines.
How Will You Get There?
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Sciences/Engineering required. Degree in chemistry or chemical engineering preferred.
Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of experience working in a thermal hazards analysis laboratory.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website