The Community Builders, Inc. (TCB) is a nationally recognized nonprofit developer, owner and manager of affordable and mixed-income residential and commercial properties. Founded in 1964, TCB has developed over 25,000 residential units as well as office and retail properties and owns or manages over 11,000+ rental units nationally. TCB strategic plan calls for continued growth in existing markets of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and the District of Columbia and expansion of our real estate development capacity, community life engagement and resident resource building, financial strength, and property management, all guided by our mission to build and sustain strong communities where people can thrive.Position Description:
The Director of Facilities under the direction of the Executive Vice President of Property Management has overall responsibility for providing leadership and vision for the maintenance programs, assessing current and future needs and developing strategies to support the education and growth of the team. This role directs and mentors multiple Portfolio Maintenance Managers in all phases of maintenance, apartment turn preparation, work orders, customer service and financial operations ensuring that the companys financial; business and customer service objectives are achieved globally. The Director will develop and implement tactical and effective plans for the property management maintenance department to best achieve TCB strategic plan goals to be the management company of choice, increase the size of the portfolio, and provide exemplary resident service.
The Director will foster alignment globally with development, community life and other departments to create consistency, brand integrity, new business opportunities and an environment for the residents that allow them to maximize their social and economic potential. The Director is an integral part of the property management leadership team which focuses on low and moderate income housing, with a mix of market rate and commercial, by acquiring and developing of housing to promote neighborhood improvement for the benefit of persons and families of low and moderate income and for the elderly, disabled and other disadvantaged persons.Essential Functions:
The Director will promote consistent adherence to TCB standard operating policies and the employee handbook globally ensuring that the mission of The Community Builders is reflected in the policies and procedures implemented. A primary role of the Director is to create and foster an environment that supports teamwork, professional development, safe work practices, strong customer services and accountability at all levels.
- Deliver leadership, mentoring and direction to enhance the skills of employees and foster a collaborative, positive work environment across all departments.
- Serve as a strong advocate for maintenance department and team, representing their interests and needs within property management and effectively communicate those needs across departments, in particular development.
- Develop maintenance policies, procedures and protocols for maintenance operations to ensure the effective, efficient, timely and safe delivery of services. Engage in regular assessment of resident satisfaction and seek opportunities for operational improvements.
- Development of plans for programs and initiative including key performance metrics and benchmarks as well as proactive, specific initiatives and strategies that further help promote the optimal performance.
- Develop strategies for efficient maintenance operating and capital budgets, develop methods to monitor and analyze expenditures, negotiate major contracts and service agreements.
- Establish industry best practices SOPs, processes and practices that provide the highest level of efficiencies, superior customer service, asset preservation, preventative maintenance, capital planning and regulatory compliance.
- Provide guidance, industry metrics and performance expectations to the property management teams in the preparation and achievement of annual operating budgets and break even. Meet or exceed budget expectations.
- Establish, implement and oversee a procurement program that archives consistency and efficiencies.
- Establish, implement and oversee a framework for opportunity contracting across the portfolio to achieve success with women and minority owned business procurement and contracting goals, and have the ability to quantify results and report on progress and statistics
- Work with other TCB leaders to strategically plan for growth, new initiatives and new business opportunities and enhanced business practices including working with asset management in setting operating budgets for new development projects, potential acquisitions and new third party management.
- Work with development strategically on design standards and selections that will help ensure longer term ownership and operation efficiencies and manageability.
- Review and analysis of monthly financial statements with the Portfolio Maintenance Managers to enhance knowledge, develop tactics efficiencies and introduce plans to meet or exceed budget goals.
- Review Yardi dashboards for patterns to create benchmarks and metrics of work orders, preventative maintenance, and days to turn units, number of down days and trade skills needed for success.
- Support and work with the PM team to support sustainability efforts and to establish long- term capital budgets, safety, preventative maintenance and purchasing consistent with funding priorities and strategies.
- Introduce policies and procedures for financial monitoring controls for turn costs, Replacement/Reserve withdrawal requests, bids & contracts to assuring cost savings and standardization of products.
- Remain current with REAC standards in order to provide support and oversight with REAC planning and coordination to ensure consistent scores across the portfolio of 80 or above.
- Establish standardized TCB contract templates for landscaping, snow removal, pest control, boiler service and other major or ongoing contracts. Create a library of scope and specifications for consistent bidding process.
- Provide guidance in the determination and preparation of the scope of work, bidding process and the contract award. Develop business analytics and cost per unit standards for regions and building types.
- Develop resources regionally for project management of large-scale projects, i.e. roof, window, siding, HVAC replacements, elevator modernizations, etc.
- Responsible for leadership and accountability of Portfolio Maintenance Managers in due diligence, development projects, new construction and rehab to evaluate physical conditions, resident needs, safety approach from pro forma & planning, budget creation to stabilization and break even.
- Provide guidance and support in building punch process for new buildings coming out of development.
- Be an active partner with Community Life to implement resident and community programs to maximize social and economic potential. Focus on meeting the needs of low-income people not effectively served by market forces.
- Collaborate with Community Life, public and private agencies, and philanthropic interests to shape community and economic initiatives. Transform large-scale distressed housing projects into anchors for revitalization efforts.
- Collaborates on best practices and ensures knowledge is leveraged globally and shared cross functionally within the organization.
- Other duties and responsibilities as requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge and application of building, health, safety, fire, environmental and other regulatory regulations and procedures.
- Significant administrative leadership and achievement, knowledge and experience of the operations of service- oriented property management organization.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to use data to guide decision making, ability to direct and resolve ambiguous problems.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including but not limited to: senior leadership, volunteers, interns, community partners, organization donors and media.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is required to move around the building or site.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The position is officed in the Boston TCB corporate office, but travel is required.
- Must work under deadlines and ability to meet deadlines.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Business Management or other related degree or 10 years of progressive responsibility in property management, hospitality or retail experience required.
- 8+ years of multi-site, multi-family multi-property type operational management experience, preferably with a portfolio of properties that contain a mix of residential property types or similar as a Regional Manager or a comparable role in hotel/resort/retail management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and in Yardi or other industry software.
- Prior experience in and knowledge of affordable housing and applicable compliance is preferred.
The Community Builders, Inc. is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply on company website