Since 1828 Sweetser has been dedicated to improving the lives of Maine's most vulnerable children and families. We have an opportunity for a special education teacher to join our Saco special purpose private school. The ideal candidate would excel at communicating with students with moderate to severe behavioral health needs while working collaboratively with the school educational and clinical team members. Full benefits, training, competitive pay, and more! ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Contributes to school's effectiveness by identifying short-term and long-range issues that must be addressed; providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of action; and implementing directives.
• Establishes and adjusts course outlines and objectives by following curriculum guidelines and state and local school system goals, and modifying plans on the basis of student diagnostic and assessment procedures.
• Conveys information to students by using language concepts, examples, demonstrations, and teaching aids, such as audiovisual equipment and computers.
• Completes educational requirements by implementing the educational plan, including goals and activities, involving students in community and social programming based on individual need, scheduling and assigning instructional activities and following up on results.
• Assesses student learning by preparing, administering, and scoring tests; reviewing and correcting assignments; eliciting student questions and responses; and evaluating the daily academic and behavioral progress of students.
• Maintains student learning results by providing instructional feedback; coaching, counseling, and disciplining students; and planning, monitoring and appraising learning results.
• Guides students' personal and social development by establishing rules and procedures for administrative matters, student verbal participation, and student movement within the classroom, between classrooms, and on the playground.
• Helps parents by providing academic information; suggesting available educational and social resources; addressing parents' concerns answering questions and requests.
• Maintains student behavior by providing the appropriate degree of supervision during both instructional and non-instructional time.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary or Secondary Education or Special Education, or 120 credits plus proper state certification as a Vocational Teacher.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
• Holds 282 certificate or eligible for conditional application according to Maine Department of Education.
• Maintain a valid state driver's license.
• Student teaching in a self-contained classroom.
• Experience in teaching life skills and background that enables participation in the overall treatment program and to meet the emotional and developmental needs of the persons served.
• Persons with lived experience in the Mental Health and/or Substance Abuse system are encouraged to apply.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Personal characteristics and temperament suitable for working with persons with special needs.
• Assists staff by having knowledge of Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) and using the TCI procedure effectively.
Apply on company website