Job Summary and Mission
Everyone knows Starbucks is a leader in coffee, but did you know we're also cited as an industry leader in embracing innovative technology? Our product design and development teams are working to revolutionize the way that our customers interact with Starbucks both inside and outside of our stores.
At its core, our mission is to build, innovate and support the customer-facing applications that drive business at Starbucks. Our opportunity is unique; we embrace modern technology and designs to move the business forward, with a focus on customer experience. Our work is highly visible and impactful – we're looking for a motivated web engineering manager to helps us move the needle.
Our engineers are motivated and have a proven track record of delivering high quality experiences, at speed. Above all, we value self-starters who are able to work through challenging problems, through patterns and process. We pride ourselves on being data and results driven – if you can't measure it, you can't manage it. We succeed and fail as a team; communication and teamwork are a part of our life blood.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Leadership – Setting goals for the team, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Ensure the team promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve successful business results.
- Support the delivery of projects by setting appropriate context for the team and communicating what success looks like.
- Introduce technical topics, sponsor opportunities for innovation, and recognize technical excellence.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams in planning, decomposing, estimating, scheduling, prioritizing, and staffing to deliver projects and enhancements.
- Plan and manage process and practices to ensure delivery of quality software within budget and schedules.
- Introduce the team and the organization to new technologies that are relevant to our products.
- Lead the solution design process leveraging and developing talent from your team.
- Ensure that the applications supported by your team have appropriate patterns and design/ coding standards in place.
- Lead team towards delivering solutions that are scalable, secure, durable, flexible, and accessible.
- Cultivate a test-driven development culture that utilizes CI and CD capabilities to deliver software early and often.
- Build and lead a team that supports each other, makes others feel welcome, and succeeds (or fails) together as a group.
- Challenge and inspire your team to achieve results that result in making our customers happy and deliver business results.
- Support partners in their career growth – providing opportunities to expand their capabilities and learn new skills.
- Defines and maintains processes, procedures, and expectations for team's production support responsibilities.
- Ensures platform application and platform support documentation is in place.
- Identifies and leverages operational metrics, instrumentation and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure, monitor and manage the platform performance and uptime.
- Leads team through high severity operational incidents.
Skills you should have
- Technical leadership experience – mentoring, coaching, and helping those around you succeed
- Hands-on experience building and supporting modern web applications, preferably at scale
- Deep understanding of application & web architecture and development
- Expertise with at least one modern programming language
- Experience providing production support to business critical or revenue generating systems
- A solid grasp of web standards
- Familiarity with accessibility requirements
- Expertise in engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle including test-driven development, continuous integration and delivery, code reviews and paired programming, security concerns, etc...
- Excellent problem-solving, debugging, & performance tuning skills
- A thorough understanding of the whole web stack: HTTP, cookies, caching & optimization techniques, etc…
- Experience with agile or lean methodologies
Other skills we would like you to have
- Familiarity with Progressive Web Applications (PWAs) and emerging web capabilities (web push, background sync, service worker, etc…)
- Passion about current technology and new trends
- Exposure to or interest in a variety of technologies
- 8-10 years of professional industry experience with software development and operations
- 5 years of managing systems or application development projects of all sizes and complexities, including large systems
- 3-5 years of leading or managing small technical teams
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at email@example.com
Apply on company website