About Standard Chartered We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
This is a key role within the Group Tax team that will be involved in rendering tax advisory support for supplier contracting.
The Role Responsibilities
- Engage Supply Chain Management (SCM) and Legal teams to provide advice and assistance on the tax implication of cross-border contracts;
- As needed, assist SCM with the negotiation of contracts with suppliers;
- Coordinate country-specific advice from the relevant Country Tax Managers (CTMs) or finance teams where there is no CTM, help identify efficient solutions as they relate to the Bank's engagements;
- Review tax clause and provide recommendation (if deviation is required);
- Provide Tax Risk Assessment on contracts and approve via SCBuy;
- Understand the downstream processes of the contracts (e.g. billing/recharge) and work with Transfer Pricing team to ensure that the relevant Standard Chartered Group entities collect appropriate documentation to claim tax credits and deductions (where applicable);
- Monitor for updates in areas of international tax, challenge internal lists to help ensure that the most recent tax rates and requirements are captured and applied;
- Provide training to stakeholders on tax concepts, raise awareness within Business on how managing tax considerations can add value to contract with suppliers.
- Provide tax support to contract owners on compliance of tax laws and risk management of purchasing activities
- Provide support to Line Manager on related projects, including projects to remediate the tax clauses and invoicing arrangement of existing contracts;
- Provide support on initiatives to automate and streamline the procurement process with the purpose of delivering tax efficiency in the Group procurement activities
- Ad-hoc tax advice, as needed.
- Reducing operational costs for the Group by identifying implications on cross-border tax and internal recharges that arise through supplier engagements.
- Promote awareness and value of the tax function within the Business.
- Provide support in relation to the Risk Assessment for Third Party during the contract negotiation stages.
People and Talent
- Learn from others and support their learning in a collaborative environment that works with several different stakeholders within the Group.
- Ensure that all related tax policies and procedures are adhered to both within the letter and spirit of the relevant laws that underscore them.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across the Group. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Group Tax team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Group Tax including Transfer Pricing
- Country Tax Managers / Finance teams
- Supply Chain Management (SCM)
- Group Legal
- A self starter with good communication and interpersonal skills who is able to prioritise and manage multiple workstreams;
- Ability to understand and advise on operation aspects of implementation
- Good working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- Minimum of 6 years of tax experience, understanding of international tax concepts such as withholding tax and permanent establishment;
- Experience in Big 4, law firm, or large international bank/multinational company;
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages.
Apply on company website