Assists to maintain the data integrity of the electronic health record at SRHS. Performs or facilitates the correction of incorrect clinical and non-clinical information in EPIC and One Content. Works closely with clinicians, registration, billing, information technology staff and others as needed to facilitate corrections in the electronic medical record and communicate outcomes. In addition, the Chart Correction Analyst maintains the data integrity of the Electronic Master Patient Index (EMPI) by analyzing and resolving issues concerning patient identity and duplicate medical record number(s) within the electronic medical record system. Works daily with reports and statistical information regarding incorrect and duplicate assignment of EMPI numbers. Assists with audits of the Identity/Epic system throughout the organization. Audits merged and collapsed data for accuracy and assists caregivers in identifying and correcting encounters. Responsible for processing documents in the Index Correction Queue and identify trends to prevent indexing errors. Audits order level documents scanned for Health Maintenance to ensure order is appropriately finalized. Assigns Proxy access in My Chart based on valid authorization and identity verification.
- Associates Degree in HIM or related field, or commensurate experience of a minimum of 5 years in HIM/Healthcare.
- Three years of experience in HIM
- Previous experience with electronic MPI, patient registration, and billing and clinical systems processes.
- Bachelor Degree in HIM/Informatics
- Five years of related work experience.
- Experience with Epic and One Content.
- RHIT or RHIA
Core Job Responsibilities
- Provides support throughout the health system to correct information that impacts patient care including healthcare documentation and patient health information.
- Demonstrates proficiency in all Epic Identity and Chart Correction processes.
- Monitors and resolves correction requests submitted in Epic on an ongoing and continuous basis. Assists with resolving duplicate records and other errors that are reported to the Help Desk. Applies and removes chart correction flags, and indicates the patient chart as “Mark Patient for Merge request”, or other notification, regarding a duplicate medical record number in the patient chart.
- Communicates with the appropriate parties during the process of resolving chart correction errors, and assists providers with correcting MR errors as needed. Validates the resolution of the documentation error. Corrects document types when necessary.
- Reviews, prioritizes, and completes merges of patient records with more than one medical record number.
- Reviews, prioritizes and resolves Patient Overlays which occur when two patients' clinical information is recorded on the same record. The Specialist will use the complex Epic Chart Correction workflow to compare and contrast clinical documentation to accurately separate the information in to two unique medical records or performs contact moves when a visit is associated with the incorrect patient.
- Works closely with key operational departments (i.e. Patient Access, Patient Financial Services) and technical resources to ensure that other critical software applications are updated and corrected, as needed. Notifies other departments of duplicates and surviving numbers to ensure synchronization of indices throughout the organization.
- Maintains in depth understanding of data flow between the EHR, various repositories and ancillary systems. Attain a general understanding of legacy systems.
- Performs ADI (Adjust Document Index) function in One Content to correct scanning/indexing errors.
- Audits order level scanning performed for Health Maintenance to ensure accuracy.
- Assists with training and collaborates with the EHR system users on the process and procedure of correcting medical record error in the EHR system.
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality according to HIPAA, state and federal regulations.
- Assigns Proxy access to My Chart based on requests received with appropriate authorization and proof of identity.
- Performs other HIM duties as assigned and requested.
Additional InformationSpartanburg Regional is an integrated healthcare system that provides care from birth to hospice. As a a partner with the community for 90 years, we have earned a reputation for technological excellence. With more than 5,600 employees, Spartanburg Regional prides itself in being one of the most recognized healthcare facilities in Upstate South Carolina. A long list of accolades and accomplishments keep our employees proud. We believe the pride and quality in our organization is the result of a focused effort of our staff and resources.
Apply on company website