Job Opportunity Job ID: 23059 Positions Location: Lansing, MI Job Description General Purpose of Job: Cuts, Description:
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Cuts, mounts, and stains sections of surgically obtained tissue specimens in order to prepare
them for microscopic examination and diagnosis by staff pathologist. Prepares solutions,
performs special mountings and stains and performs related service duties.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Receives and logs tissue specimens ensuring that each is properly identified and labeled, prepares specimens for embedding utilizing automatic dehydration fixation processor, embeds specimens in paraffin block and utilizes microtome to cut section of specimen.
- Prepares section for microscopic examination by following approved departmental procedures.
- Delivers prepared slides to pathologist for microscopic examination.
- Receives specimens from surgery requiring immediate diagnosis and completes required procedures.
- Prepares and dictates description of gross surgical tissue specimens under the direction of a staff pathologist.
- Maintains quality of slides by examination of each batch of slides and/or preparation of control material.
- Prepares all solutions, both fixatives and stains from stock chemicals according to established formulas.
- Maintains specimen logs and files for reference and research purposes. Effectively utilizes the computer for specimen log-in, data retrieval, label and log book accessioning.
Maintains clean work area and performs routine maintenance duties such as: a) sharping microtome blades; b) disposing of supplies; c) transporting specimens.Job Requirements General RequirementsHT (ASCP)Work ExperienceMinimum of 6 months of on the job training and experience in histology techniques and procedures.EducationHigh school diploma, and either one year CAHEA approved clinical training or two years experience in an approved clinical training program or two years experience in an approved laboratory. Specialized Knowledge and SkillsDemonstrates the ability to properly operate various types of automated and non-automated laboratory equipment in order to cut, mount, and prepare specimens. Demonstrates a knowledge of anatomy. Demonstrates the manual/visual skills necessary to cut and mount specimen sections. Demonstrates ability to correctly assess the quality of stained tissue sections to aide in providing pathologists with proper materials for diagnosis.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Job Family Clinical Professional/Technical/Allied Health Requirements: Shift Variable Degree Type / Education Level High School / GED Status Full-time Facility Sparrow Hospital Experience Level Under 4 Years
Apply on company website