Position Title: Quarterly Adjunct Lecturer - Computer Science and Engineering (Pool) Position Type: Temporary Hiring Range:
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering seeks applications for quarterly adjunct lecturers (QALs) for the Winter 2020 academic quarter.
Santa Clara University operates on a quarter system. Each quarter (fall, winter, and spring) is 10 weeks long, with an extra week for final examinations. Graduate classes are typically held during the 7:10-9:00 a.m., 5:10-7:00 p.m., and 7:10-9:00 p.m. time slots.
QALs are allowed to teach up to 4 course equivalencies (CEs) per academic year with no more than 2 CEs in any particular quarter. Additionally, QALs are allowed to teach an additional 2 CEs during the summer terms.
Generally, course equivalencies are:
4 unit lecture = 1 CE
1 unit lab = 0.5 CE
1 unit lab with a teaching assistant (TA) = 0.25
4 unit lecture = 1 CE
2 unit lecture = 0.66 CE
Earned graduate degree (Ph.D. preferred) in computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related field. At a minimum, candidates should hold a Master's degree with equivalent experience.
Demonstrated excellence in teaching computer science and engineering at the undergraduate level and/or graduate level.
Teach one or more undergraduate or graduate courses in computer science and engineering, including:
1. Prepare and conduct all assigned class meetings;
2. Assign and evaluate/grade student work appropriately;
3. Be available to students for consultation outside of class;
4. Assign student grades appropriately and submitting them on time to the Office of Student Records;
5. Conduct course assessments as required by the department; and
6. Follow departmental procedures regarding employment of graders and complying with university and school policies, including those delineated in the School of Engineering Term Faculty Handbook (http://cms.scu.edu/engineering/graduate/faculty/Faculty-Resource.cfm)
Special Instructions to Applicants
All QAL faculty must apply via Workday once each academic quarter to be hired as a QAL faculty.
Your letter of application must include the specific courses you are interested in teaching that match your expertise. A list of courses can be found in the SCU Undergraduate Catalog and the School of Engineering Graduate Catalog (https://www.scu.edu/academics/course-catalogs)
Hiring is made on a quarterly basis. The first class dates for the Winter academic quarter is Monday, January 6, 2020
Application should include:
- Letter of Interest;
- Contact information for three references.
Santa Clara University does not sponsor any visa applications for this position. The successful candidate must be able to provide evidence of identity and legal authorization to work in the United States.
Apply on company website