Position Title: Quarterly Adjunct Lecturer - Applied Mathematics (Pool) Position Type: Fixed Term (Fixed Term) Hiring Range:
To be determined.Job Description:
The Department of Applied Mathematics seeks applications for quarterly adjunct lecturers (QALs) for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Santa Clara University operates on a quarter system. Each quarter (fall, winter, and spring) is 10 weeks long, with an extra week for final examinations. Graduate classes are typically held during the 7:10-9:00 a.m., 5:10-7:00 p.m., and 7:10-9:00 p.m. time slots.
QALs are allowed to teach up to 4 course equivalencies (CEs) per academic year with no more than 2 CEs in any particular quarter. Additionally, QALs are allowed to teach an additional 2 CEs during the summer terms.
Generally, course equivalencies are:
4 unit lecture = 1 CE
1 unit lab = 0.5 CE
1 unit lab with a teaching assistant (TA) = 0.25
4 unit lecture = 1 CE
2 unit lecture = 0.66 CE
1. Earned graduate degree (Ph.D. preferred) in mathematics or a related fleld.
2. Demonstrated excellence in teaching mathematics and its applications to engineering students at the undergraduate level and/or graduate level.
A. Teach one or more undergraduate or graduate courses in applied mathematics, including:
1. Prepare for and conduct all assigned class meetings (undergraduate course between 8 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. three days per week, graduate courses before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m. once or twice per week);
2. Assign and evaluate student work appropriately;
3. Be available to students for consultation outside of class; and
4. Assign student grades appropriately and submit them on time to the Office of Student Records.
B. Fulfill other instructional or academic duties as assigned by the Chair of Applied Mathematics or by the Dean of Engineering, including:
1.Consult the the Chair of the Department of Applied Mathematics about course content and other matters as appropriate;
2. Submit an electronic copy of each examination and each syllabus (including approved expected learning outcomes) each quarter to the Chair of Applied Mathematics;
3. Submit a photocopy of an appropriate sample of each student's work in each course that is being evaluated officially during the 2019-2020 academic year as part of the department's ongoing assessment efforts; and
4. Follow departmental procedures regarding employment of graders and complying with university and school policies, including those delineated in the School of Engineering Term Faculty Handbook available from the site: http://cms.scu.edu/engineering/graduate/faculty/Faculty-Resource.cfm for reference.
Special Instructions to Applicant
All prospective QAL faculty must apply via Workday system once each academic year.
Your letter of application must include the specific course you are interested in teaching that match your expertise. Lists of departmental courses are available from the site: https://www.scu.edu/academics/course-catalogs with separate files for undergraduate programs and for engineering graduate programs.
Requested Applications Materials
1. Letter of application specifying qualifications and teaching philosophy
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Contact information for three professional references (letters of reference are not necessary)
4. Statement of teaching interests, including Department of Applied Mathematics course numbers available from the site: https://www.scu.edu/academics/course-catalogs with separate files for undergraduate and for engineering graduate programs.Work Authorization:
Santa Clara University does not sponsor any visa applications for this position. The successful candidate must be able to provide evidence of identity and legal authorization to work in the United States.
Apply on company website