Position Title: Quarterly Adjunct Lecturer-Bioengineering (Pool) Position Type: Temporary Hiring Range:
The Department of Bioengineering seeks applications for quarterly adjunct lecturers
(QALs) for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Santa Clara University operates on a quarter system. Each quarter (fall, winter, and
spring) is 10 weeks long, with an extra week for final examinations. Graduate classes
are typically held during the 7:10-9:00 a.m., 5:10-7:00 p.m., and 7:10-9:00 p.m. time
QALs are allowed to teach up to 4 course equivalencies (CEs) per academic year with
no more than 2 CEs in any particular quarter. Additionally, QALs are allowed to teach an
additional 2 CEs during the summer terms.
Generally, course equivalencies are:
4 unit lecture = 1 CE
1 unit lab = 0.5 CE
1 unit lab with a teaching assistant (TA) = 0.25
4 unit lecture = 1 CE
2 unit lecture = 0.66 CE
Ph.D. in Bioengineering or related fields.
Specialty or Subdiscipline:
1. Medical Devices
2. Biomaterials and Biomechanics
3. Anatomy & Physiology
4. Cellular and Biomolecular Engineering
Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the undergraduate level and/or graduate level.
Teach one or more undergraduate and/or graduate courses in Bioengineering, including:
1. Prepare and conduct all assigned class meetings;
2. Assign and evaluate/grade student work appropriately;
3. Be available to students for consultation outside of class;
4. Assign student grades appropriately and submit them on time to the Office of Student
5. Conduct course assessments as required by the department; and
6. Follow departmental procedures regarding employment of graders and complying with
university and school policies, including those delineated in the School of Engineering
Term Faculty Handbook (http://cms.scu.edu/engineering/graduate/faculty/Faculty-
Special Instructions to Applicants
All QAL faculty must apply via PeopleAdmin once each academic year to be hired as a
Applications should include:
1. Letter of application. Include the specific courses you are interested in teaching
that match your expertise. A list of courses can be found in the SCU
Undergraduate Catalog and the School of Engineering Graduate Catalog
3. Names and contact information for three references
4. Course syllabi and supporting materials (optional).
Hiring is made on a quarterly basis. The first class dates for the 2019-2020 academic
Fall 2019 – Monday, September 23, 2019
Winter 2020 – Monday, January 6, 2020
Spring 2020 – Monday, March 30, 2020
Santa Clara University does not sponsor any visa applications for this position. The successful candidate must be able to provide evidence of identity and legal authorization to work in the United States.
Apply on company website