Vehicle Preventative Maintenance Technicians are responsible for performing repairs and maintenance on the vehicle fleet to ensure our trucks are safe and on the road. This position routinely requires moderate to extreme physical exertion and may require prolonged standing, bending, kneeling, squatting, and working in awkward positions. Preventative Maintenance Technicians are exposed to extreme weather conditions and shop environment, as well as traffic during road calls. The hours and physical demand may vary by location.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs repairs and maintenance of fleet vehicles in a safe manner in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and company policies.
- Services fleet vehicles per company maintenance schedules and/or from driver vehicle inspection reports (DVIR).
- Inspects, lubricates, and services vehicles and equipment.
- Completes adjustments, repairs, and component replacements to vehicles, equipment, and related components.
- Checks, fills, and/or changes appropriate fluids for all vehicle parts and check/change filters.
- Inspects, repairs and/or overhauls vehicle support systems, such as electrical, air, and brake systems.
- Identifies and performs repairs and adjustments to various components and operating systems on the vehicles, equipment or related components.
- Ensures all safety devices on vehicles are in good working order.
- Performs roadside repairs and adjustments.
- Assists senior experienced technicians with repairs, maintenance assignments and adjustments.
- Performs routine housekeeping duties related tools, materials, shop and work areas.
- Professional interaction with internal and external customers.
- Performs required administrative duties when necessary, such as cycle counts, parts requisitions, warranties, etc.
- May assist in other areas of the vehicle maintenance shop as needed.
- Maintains accurate records (time, repair orders and parts usage) on computer.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job (prolonged physical exertions, including standing, lifting, pushing, pulling, squatting, bending, kneeling, climbing and working in awkward positions and tight areas).
- Must be able to lift weights exceeding 50 pounds.
- Good mechanical aptitude with basic knowledge of vehicle maintenance and repair.
- Minimum 2 years performing repair and maintenance on vehicles, equipment and related components.
- Experience with diesel powered vehicles preferred.
- Familiarity with the use of repair manuals, wiring (electrical) diagrams and schematics necessary to troubleshoot or repair vehicle or component failure.
- Ability to safely drive vehicles in and out of service area.
- General knowledge of truck components and systems.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Good written and verbal communication skills to be able to communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers.
- Must possess necessary tools to perform assigned tasks.
- Familiarity with using a computer.
- Additional skills may be required to perform additional task(s) specific to work location, department or line of business.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have at least a valid driver's license, CDL preferred.
- A valid DOT medical card or able to obtain prior to hire, preferred.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment testing.
- Must be able to read and speak the English language well enough to communicate, understand, and respond to questions, directions, traffic signs, signals, and safety training.
- Exposure to noise, heat, dust, and fumes as found in a repair facility.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions possible.
- Exposure to residential and commercial waste.
- Possible exposure to high traffic conditions while performing road calls.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature, complexity and level of work to be performed by employees assigned to this position, and is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. It does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Furthermore, this does not establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the company.
Columbus Mechanics Indeed
Apply on company website