This position is for our Louisville, KY location: 1101 W Oak St, Louisville, KY 40210
The Driver Trainee position will train side by side with the residential drivers to gain experience. Driver Trainees often begin employment in a helper role while training to become a driver. The driving position is not guaranteed although with acceptable work and completion of training, is likely. The residential driver and driver trainee positions are one of our most physically demanding jobs. Drivers are responsible for servicing assigned route(s) with the collection and hauling of waste or recycling materials to a disposal site or recycling plant. This position routinely requires extensive physical exertion (lifting, pushing, and pulling trash receptacles weighing up to 75 pounds each from the ground approximately 300-500 times per day) and entering/exiting the truck approximately 600-1000 times per day. Drivers and Trainees are exposed to extreme weather conditions and unpleasant odors and sights. The hours and physical demand may vary by route or area.
- Operates truck in a safe manner in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and company policies.
- Provides waste or recycling removal services to customers on assigned route(s) by emptying trash/recycling receptacles into truck and hauling to disposal site.
- Replaces trash/recycling receptacles neatly at the curb or designated area.
- Cleans up waste spills and overflows.
- Maintains and updates route sheets.
- Conducts pre-trip/post trip inspections and complete logs.
- Maintains and updates drivers log sheets.
- Professional interaction with internal and external customers.
- Cleans waste from the packer blade and truck body.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to read and understand a map.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job (prolonged physical exertions, including repetitive lifting, pushing, pulling and climbing).
- General knowledge of mechanics of trucks.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Good written and verbal communication skills to be able to communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers.
- Waste industry experience, a plus.
- Additional skills may be required to perform additional task(s) specific to work location, department or line of business.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to obtain a class B CDL within 90 days of employment.
- Must be able to obtain a DOT medical card within 10 days of employment.
- Must obtain class B CDL permit within 10 days of employment.
- Must not have any DUI's or OVI's within the last 5 years or 2 in the last 10 years.
- Must not have any license suspensions within the last 2 years.
- No more than 3 moving violations within the last 2 years.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment testing.
- Must be able to read and speak the English language well enough to communicate, understand, and respond to questions, directions, traffic signs, signals, and safety training.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Exposure to residential and commercial waste.
- Possible exposure to high traffic conditions while outside of the vehicle.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature, complexity and level of work to be performed by employees assigned to this position, and is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. It does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Furthermore, this does not establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the company.
Rumpke Waste and Recycling is committed to equality in all aspects of employment. It is Rumpke's policy to provide equal opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status or disability status.2100OH10CDLR
Apply on company website