Job ID: 8922The Track Laborer performs a variety of tasks involving physical labor to build, repair and maintain railroad track. Uses a variety of hand and power tools and other construction equipment. Works with a crew and reports to a Foreman.
Examples of materials and tools utilized include: ballast, rails, spike mauls, tie tongs, rail tongs, rail forks, lining bars, shovels, jacks, spike mauls, spike drivers, claw bars, spike lifters, spike pullers, power wrenches, impact drills, and other welding material.
Out of town work and travel required. ***Position does require extensive travel up to 100%***
Willing to consider candidates within a 100 mile radius of Vincennes, IN.
- Cleans and prepares construction work sites to eliminate possible hazards.
- Attaches rail, remove spikes, lift and handle railroad crossties.
- Digs ditches or trenches, backfills excavations, and compacts and levels earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, and rakes including tamping ballast.
- Positions, joins, aligns, and seals structural components.
- Measures, marks, and records openings and distances to lay out areas where construction work will be performed.
- Signals equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials.
- Loads, unloads, and identifies building materials, machinery, and tools, and distributes them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications.
- Follows company and industry safety rules, practices and procedures.
- Controls traffic passing near, in, and around work zones.
Pay and Benefits
- Starting hourly rate is competitive; Overtime - time and a half after forty hours in a weekly pay period
- Substantial opportunities to grow your career and take it to the next level
- Per diem, lodging and travel time paid by the company per company policy for out of town work.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Previous construction experience performing physical labor (2 years +).
- Willing to work various shift schedules, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to travel to various project and work sites as needed.
- Experience with machines and tools used in construction, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow safety rules, policies, procedures and regulations.
- Ability to work as a team to carry out assigned tasks.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Works outdoors at railroad construction sites (including industrial, short line, refinery, freight and passenger railroads) in all weather conditions, including very hot and cold weather.
- Capable of walking long distances on uneven or rough terrain.
- Lifts, pushes, pulls, and carries heavy objects, machinery and tools up to 100 pounds.
- Performs physical activities that require considerable use of the arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as standing, climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, bending and handling of materials, equipment and tools.
- May be exposed to loud noise, live track/trains and high voltage.
- Must wear appropriate safety equipment, such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection, as required by the company.
- Will likely need to respond to after hours emergency call outs on occasion.
As a US Department of Transportation contractor, RailWorks is required to comply with all current Federal DOT regulations, including drug testing. At this time, Federal DOT drug tests do not allow for the use of marijuana, even in states that allow medical and/or recreational use. Accordingly, candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test that includes marijuana prior to being hired.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
RailWorks Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Apply on company website